The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a international 4700 with a 7.3. having a problem keeping it running after i drive it about a quarter mile, looses power and then quits. it will restart with diffulity. will idle ok but when under power the engine knocks and quits. i thought i had water in fuel and drained half tank and put new diesel in and still same problem. next i want to change fuel filter but i never changed one. any help out there would be apprecited. or any other thoughts?

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Welcome to TDS.....

I'm not up on 4700's but does it has a spin off filter.........

Does it have a manual lift pump....

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I believe the fuel filter setup on the Internationals is very similar to Ford. The spin on fuel filter (and water seperator drain) should be on top of the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have two spin on filters a chemical and a oil filter, it has a blue plastic water drain on top on the engine and that has a smaller filter on the back side of it. i think its a filter incased in the round plastic. does this come apart to drop a filter into?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has no spin on filters except a chemical and a oil filter. i just bought this truck and i know nothing about the lift pump. i know the pump is working have a lot of fuel coming out of the fuel bleder when running

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What year International are we talking about?

I suggest going to the International dealer and asking for a fuel filter. Then once you have it in hand you can figure out where it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a 96 international low pro with a 7.3 turbo 444, went to napa today and bought a fuel filter and water seperator $60, and seen a picture where it goes. it has a blue plastic housing on top of engine and filter goes in it. tried to unscrew lid to get to filter and it is on very tight. tried everything from a screwdriver to a round piece of rebarb, got lid to loosen about one eighth of an inch before part of the plastic lid broke off the top. went back to napa and bought a new lid to screw onto housing. another $18, will try tomorrow to get lid off. has anyone else had problem getting lid off? do they make a special wrench for taking lid off? also on the back of housing there is a smaller round housing that looks like it has a small filter in it as well, but napa did not have a filter for this, maybe it isn't a filter housing after all. took water seperator back because my truck does not have one. i am wondering why!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
OK, a 1996 is a T444E (Ford 7.3 Powerstroke) which is a completely different engine that the International / Ford 7.3L IDI. You need to move a few forums up.

At least for Ford, the last year for the 7.3L IDI was 1994, I assume International switched over about the same time since they have probably used the same assembly plant to make both engines.

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
I was going to say, I don't think the IDI's came in anything other than an S series IH truck or bus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thinking about buying an International 4700 with the t444e engine...... it has an Allison 545 auto trans and the current owner says it starts but won’t move because of the neutral safety switch he thinks....... anybody out there have any experience with that engine and trans combo and issues that they have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts