The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 international with the t444e engine, 75,000 miles on truck. I a have bucket boom mounted on it to do construction work. I use the cruise control to ramp up the RPM's to about 1400 to operate my hydraulic boom. In the past two months my problem is getting worse to the point it is really loping or surging while I use the hydraulics. It will also surge slightly at idle without the pto engaged. This truck starts right up every single time and drives down the road perfect with plenty of power. A very slight surge can be noticed driving it at low rpm's. It does not seem to surge much at all when it is cold. Once it warms up a bit the surging begins at idle and then worse when I ramp up the rpms to run hydraulics. I have been everywhere on this thing checking and replacing things trying to fix this surging issue. New fuel filters, cleaned pre screen, checked wiring, new oil, replace ICP sensor, replace IPR regulator, replace fuel lift pump, replaced HPOP pump. I had it to 3 different, good truck shops. The international shop said that there is no more active codes after replacing the ICP and IPR. Next I started doing manual pressure checks on the HPOP. It seems low but not too bad. 450psi at idle, 1,100 winding her out to 2,300 rpm's. What should the pump put out for pressure. So seeming a bit low compared to another truck we tested to compare. I replaced the HPOP pump yesturday. No change. Pressures stayed the same. Seems as though I don't have as much pressure as I should at the HPOP. My next thought was o-rings on the injectors but it is just a stab in the dark. Seems to start and run good for bad injectors or o-rings not much smoke at all either. I hate to keep throwing money and parts at this thing just to try it but what else should I do. Hands up in the air, what should I do???????????

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
Welcome to TheDieselStop :smile2:

I've moved your post to General Diesel, because the International T444e is a slightly different animal than the 7.3L Powerstroke, mainly in terms of electronic control. International consolidates the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Injector Driver Module (IDM) into a single unit, for instance.

You seem to have checked all the high spots for your problem, but there's possibly something that's biasing the ICP signal like an intermittent short or high resistance connection in the wiring. You should check the wiring harnesses to be sure nothing is rubbing against the engine with the vibration.

If the truck has an OBD2 connector, you should be able to connect a capable scan tool and monitor parameters like ICP and IPR when it's acting up to see what's going on.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update. I have found out that if I unplug the icp sensor it fixes the surging problem. So am I right in thinking something in the computer is telling it to surge???? I hate to but a ecm computer on a guess. I ordered new engine wiring harness to put on and try. I am at the end of my rope on what to try next. This surging has got somewhat severe while I am trying to work out of the boom with the rpm's ramped up to 1400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked with a IH service guy yesterday that said to do a air pressure test on the rail system that runs the injectors where the high pressure oil lines attach on either side of heads. Has anyone ever did this test? How much air pressure is safe to try?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't know anything about the IH engine, but my 99 Powerstroke is similar. Those lines to the rails pressure can go up to 3000 PSI, so I would think you could put as much air pressure as you want on them. I would think the IH ICP is the same as the Powerstroke, people have had trouble with after market ICP's. When you disconnect the ICP the PCM takes over and maximizes the HPOP pressure, you still could have a funky ICP. If the harness goes over the valve cover like the Powerstroke, there prone to rub and possible bare the wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the advice. I have been waiting and hoping someone would engage and help me with this problem it is driving me crazy. As far as having a funky ICP, I purchased a new one from IH and then after the problem still existed I swapped one off of a working IH truck just to double check and not change. Yesterday I installed a entire brand new from IH top of engine wiring harness to eliminate that possibility, no change. Please if you have any other ideas or know someone that would please help. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts