The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with Internationals? I'm having a hell of a time with mine, and I'm running out of ideas...

It's a 1996 International 4900 with the DT466E turbo. Eaton Fuller 6 speed. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the sediment screen a few days ago. I used the schrader valve on the filter housing and the primer button to bleed the air out of the fuel system until I was getting straight fuel. Now the truck will not start. I disconnected the fuel return line at the back of the fuel rail assembly and I'm getting fuel coming out whenever I prime or try and turn the truck over. If I spray it with ether, it will run for a few seconds and then die, so there's obviously a fuel delivery problem here, but I can't figure out what the issue is. Since it fires with ether and runs for a couple seconds, it's led me to believe the injectors aren't firing... I just don't know what that would have to do with changing the fuel filter or cleaning out the catch screen. The injectors run by a high-pressure oil pump. I have oil pressure while it's trying to turn over. I've checked all of the wires. All of the fuses are good.

If anybody knows anything about Internationals, or more specifically the DT series and/or DT466E, I'm open to suggestions or ideas. This has been puzzling me for a couple days now.

The only code I'm getting from the diagnostic button is 111, which just means ECM OK.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Hi there, stop using ether before you hurt your engine and or self.
Do you have good cranking speed?
Do you have positive juice at the ipr? Do you have any old injectors harness connectors?
How's the level and quality of oil in crankcase?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, stop using ether before you hurt your engine and or self.
Do you have good cranking speed?
Do you have positive juice at the ipr? Do you have any old injectors harness connectors?
How's the level and quality of oil in crankcase?
Thank you for the reply....

Cranking speed is good and I've kept the batteries charged during all this trial and error.

I'll test the IPR tomorrow.

Oil level was at the "add" line on the dipstick. It looked quite dirty. I don't know how old it is, or when it was last changed, because the previous owner didn't keep records. (I just purchased the truck not too long ago.) I thought about the oil myself so I drained it today in preparation to put in fresh oil and then I realized that I don't have the correct filter available, so I am going to have to wait a couple days until I get the correct filter before I can re-fill the oil.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Good deal, go thru your fuel system.
After getting running, warm it up and add a few cans of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge in it.
Give it 3k RPM stick therapy
Those 466 needs good cooling system service. Something to keep in mind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. Once I get it filled back up with oil, I'll test the IPR and ICP to rule those out and report back. I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I installed the new oil filter and filled it up with fresh oil.

I unplugged the ICP to rule that out and still no start.

The IPR is tricky since it requires a "breakout harness" or some home-crafted wire harness to test it. I skipped this since I highly doubt it's that anyway... due to the fact the truck was in running order BEFORE I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the rock catcher. (I also took the phillips head cap off the top of the catch screen area to verify the check ball is in tact and looks good.)

I'm pretty certain this is all due to air being introduced into the damn fuel rail and I can't get it out. The bleeder system on this engine is about stupid. The only place to purge the air is on the fuel filter housing, which is located BELOW the fuel rail in terms of elevation. The laws of physics work against bleeding this system.

I don't know what else to do.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
You can see if you are getting the positive side of 12 volts there.

If it was running before you might have air like you said.
What's your fuel lift pressure? Once the air is out of the filter housing and you have good lift pressure he will catch and push air thru the nozzles. They will hammer away for about 15 seconds and then quiet if your fuel lift system is not aerated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just figured I'd report back here with my findings in case anybody else stumbles upon this thread while searching for an answer to a similar situation.

Ultimately, this ended up being the CPS (cam position sensor) and once I put a new one in, the truck started right up without issue and has been running great since. Moral of the story: I'm going to keep an extra CPS in my toolbox in case it goes out on me again, and I'm 300 miles away from home. It seems to be a common part to fail.

Thanks to everybody for their help and insight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
to add to this for anyone reading in future.. the newer updated CAM Sensors.. rarely if ever.. fail anymore they seemed to have resolved the issue finally.. only took what 10+ years to get a good one? haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 97 4700 with a 466 in it, no E. I've had to actually loosen the nut on the fuel line on top of the injector and bleed out the air there before mine would start again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts