The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to say thank to everyone that has posted DT466 info on this forum. I having been using the information to pick the right truck to buy. And then, I used the info to mod the DT466 in the truck that I bought.

Anyway, I decided to buy a 1988 S1900 to build a medium duty pickup to tow my 40' enclosed race car trailer. It has a recently rebuilt 210hp DT466 and a 10 Road Ranger transmission. I have a Mustang MD1750 3000hp chassis dyno so I did a baseline and then dynoed again after the free mods. In stock configuration, it made 132hp and 294tq at the tires. After the mods, it made 213hp and 500tq. Keep in mind that I usually see 30% drivetrain loss on my dyno with large trucks. With the dyno loaded hard, I could only get the EGts to 850 degrees and it made 26lbs of boost. Also, since the timing was already at 17.5 degree, I didn't change it. I backed the fuel screw out 5 full turns, turned the star wheel in 3 clicks, and raised the governor so the engine now turns 3100 RPM's. At low RPM's, it black smokes. But when the turbo, spools, it cleans up pretty nice.

Here are a few pics of the truck. It's far from done, but it's getting closer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a video before the free mods. I just looked at the tag on the 3rd member and it has 5.38 gears in it. At 55 MPH, it's turning 2500 RPMs. I need to find some 4.10s so I can get the RPMs down to around 1900 at 60.

·
Registered
723 Posts
That's super cool! There's a truck just like yours around my area, but I havent talked to him yet. I know his is still stock.
Quite a difference on the dyno! Surprising difference for free mods. I didnt think it was going to be that much.
Dual 5" pipes would look nice on there....just saying.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What a beast of a towing machine! Awesome job....chick magnet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's super cool! There's a truck just like yours around my area, but I havent talked to him yet. I know his is still stock.
Quite a difference on the dyno! Surprising difference for free mods. I didnt think it was going to be that much.
Dual 5" pipes would look nice on there....just saying.
I was surprised at the HP/TQ gains as well. Now, I need an HX40 turbo. I ordered a dual chrome stack kit for it and should have it Wednesday.

What a beast of a towing machine! Awesome job....chick magnet?
The only downside with this truck is the 29K GVW. I have a class A so that's not a big deal but my racing partner can't drive it. Chick magnet? LOL, probably not.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks like you are building a sweet ride for yourself. It looks a lot like those International extreme trucks they made for a while. Yours is unique in that it is a regular cab. Very good job!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I like orange hubs. Are you going to do some more orange accent? I think the plain-ness of the truck gives it's character especially since there aren't many left.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gotta see what we can do to peg that booost gauge!:wink2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like orange hubs. Are you going to do some more orange accent? I think the plain-ness of the truck gives it's character especially since there aren't many left.
The frame and suspension was orange but I painted it. I put the 24.5 wheels on but forgot to paint the hubs first. As it turns out, I kinda like the orange hub look.

Gotta see what we can do to peg that booost gauge!:wink2:
I know! I think 35lbs of boost would be just about right. Not sure how much boost the stock head bolts will take though. This boost gauge came out of my 08 Mustang. However, the Mustang only made 20lbs.

·
Registered
723 Posts
20 pounds is a lot for a gasser. It's not just booost that kills a headgasket, it's mainly the boost, fuel quantity, and timing. In a normal situation, it can hold about 60 pounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20 pounds is a lot for a gasser. It's not just booost that kills a headgasket, it's mainly the boost, fuel quantity, and timing. In a normal situation, it can hold about 60 pounds.
It had billet rods, forged 4032 crank, 2618 alloy forged pistons, ported heads, head and main studs. It made 724whp at 6600 RPM's on pump gas. Not bad for 284ci. I just sold this engine and bought a 800hp Sprint Cup 358ci from Yates Racing. This is the car the International will be hauling around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a great project. I was thinking about the same thing. I do have some questions.

1. The bed fits great. Can you show some details on how you did it?

2. What state are you in? How do you plan on registering it?

3. How does it ride with the rear springs? Are you thinking about air ride?

I was given my truck and I have some concerns about it.

1. Registration in California with all of the new smog stuff and phasing out older trucks.

2. Spring rear suspension.

3. No AC

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures and info coming.

Thanks...
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a great project. I was thinking about the same thing. I do have some questions.

1. The bed fits great. Can you show some details on how you did it? I attached 2"x4" box square tubing to the frame rails, sat the bed on top, and then bolting the bed through the tubing and frame.

2. What state are you in? How do you plan on registering it? Wa state. I have a class A which I need to tow the trailer. However, even though I have to have a CDL, I have it registered non-commercial so I don't need a DOT number and the insurance is cheaper.

3. How does it ride with the rear springs? Are you thinking about air ride? It rides really rough. I am going to put air bags on the rear. Also, the air seats help.

I was given my truck and I have some concerns about it.

1. Registration in California with all of the new smog stuff and phasing out older trucks.

2. Spring rear suspension.

3. No AC

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures and info coming.

Thanks...
Tom
See notes in red.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now the next big question for everyone. Do I run the twin 5" stacks through the bed or on the outside of the bed?

·
Registered
723 Posts
You should have the room to run them outside the bed. Have a helper hold them there while you look at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finished one side of the exhaust. Now, I need to move onto the other side. I am going to leave the pipe black and ceramic coat the sheild. Transfered the title this morning and bought 26K tonnage. $286.00 bucks to the state of WA.

Build total so far= $3,336.00

1 - 20 of 28 Posts