The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone happen to know if a 1990 idi and 1994 turbo idi have the same injector pump? My buddy has an extra motor and said he'd sell me the injector pump off of it but I'm not sure if it's the Same as my 94 idi turbo

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
They are the same other than the fact that maximum fuel under a wide open throttle is increased on the pumps if the engine has a turbo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it probably wouldn't be a good idea?

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
No, it's perfectly OK. You can have the pump overhauled and calibrated at a local injection shop and tell them it's needs to be set up for a turboed version of an IDI, or you can just turn the max fuel setting up before you install it. There's a little triangular plate on the right side of the pump. You remove it, rotate the pump until a small set screw is showing. It will take a small Allen wrench. I don't have time to look in the ATS manual right now, but you turn the screw clockwise something like two flats on the Allen wrench and that's all that's involved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks! It's still up for debate cause I'm not sure I want to buy a used one that hasn't been remanufactured because who knows how much longer it would last I think the safer bet would just be to go ahead and buy a remanufactured one

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just be careful where you purchase a re-manufactured IP. A used IP is around $150 and a warranted re-manufactured Is around $650 $700 for a turbo. Midwest diesel, Conestoga diesel, Dieselogic and R&D performance are a few of the trusted rebuilders. There is one in Indiana, can't remember the name. Stay away from Pensacola and Diesel Care.

Most all charge a $150 core charge if you don't have one.

If the guy sells the IP cheap, that 90 IP would be just fine, turn up the fuel two hex flats for a turbo. Takes a 5/32 hex wrench. Take the cover off the side like LMJD said, but be careful removing the cover bolts they like to break, there Lok Tite in, a little propane torch heat is good.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Okay thanks! It's still up for debate cause I'm not sure I want to buy a used one that hasn't been remanufactured because who knows how much longer it would last I think the safer bet would just be to go ahead and buy a remanufactured one
Your wisest move, if you can get your friend's pump at a reasonable price is buy it, then take it to a local IP shop and have them overhaul and calibrate it (for a turboed engine). After dealing with rebuilt parts for decades, any shop I worked in found IP's can be compared to a rebuilt parts house alternator, starter, etc, you get a better product by taking yours to a local auto electric shop and having that shop overhaul it. When in doubt, you can phone a local heavy truck shop and ask who they send their injection pumps out to. Plus you can come out better money-wise, you're only charged for the parts your particular pump required.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Some of those shops have an exchange program where they charge you what it costs to rebuild yours, and the give you one off the shelf. Usually works out good if they don't take any junk in to rebuild.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Therein lies the problem. With the current trend of some people burning vegetable grease, used engine oil, and other crap, some IP shop people are saying there's abnormal internal wear on many pumps nowadays. Mine's only had clean diesel plus Power Service anti-gel now and then so I for sure would want it rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Point well taken. I didn't think about how they get abused now days. Any pump that is made to pump one thing and then pumps what it isn't made for will have trouble. I've used vegetable oil as fuel, but it was carefully cleaned up, and cut to lower the viscosity to about the same as diesel. Work versus prices for diesel doesn't pay out right now. when prices go back up, I'll start making biodiesel again. Which is a very different animal than just straight vegetable oil. Using old engine oil is just stupid. There is no way no mater how well it is filtered to get it clean enough. Then there is the viscosity problem too.

Reactions: LMJD

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I'll look into finding a shop that would charge me for the price of a rebuild and giving me another I've only ever ran straight diesel fuel through mine and anti gel once but who knows about previous owners

1 - 12 of 12 Posts