The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick or special tool needed to change out the IPR on my 97 powerstroke truck. I've tried everything I know to do and cannot get a wrench on the little valve. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Google or YouTube 7.3 powerstroke ipr tool.
You can make one. I've used a wrench most times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Take off the "tin nut" and solenoid and use a 1-1/8" deep socket (I remove the fuel bowl when I do it). Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
Some deep sockets are not deep enough with the socket fully on the wrench. You may be able to "short sheet" the socket handle and make it work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thanks for the replies, My truck has the IPR up on the high pressure oil rail at least that's what I think it is. It looks like a 5/8 wrench that removes it but the problem is I can't get a wrench on it, the motor pulling bracket is in the way. Do I have to move the air conditioner compressor to get to the nut? Mine does not have a tin cap that is removable and it's way smaller than 1 1/8 maybe what I'm looking at is not the IPR. Again Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
The ICP sensor is what's mounted on the oil rail on the driver's side head. You can remove the motor lifting bracket if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again thank you for the reply. It seems the motor lifting bracket is pressed into the motor no bolts to remove it. I guess the next thing is to remove the AC compressor and what ever else is in the way to allow me to get a wrench on the IPR. I really don't want to move or disturb any of the oil lines or electrical wiring I've always been told not to move them due to the wires being brittle. This little IPR valve is fast becoming quite a pain.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
There should be just two bolts holding the lifting eye to the head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for replying. I just went out to the shop and looked again best I can tell there is no bolts in the motor lifting eye. It is pressed into the head. All this being said, I do not have the oil line out but cannot see a bolt on the lifting eye. I know for sure there is not a bolt in the front of the eye it's easy to see just a pressed in piece of iron. Guess mine is different. But thanks anyway. I couldn't be that lucky!

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Mine has 2 large countersunk allen-head bolts (so they are flush with the bracket ... make sure they are not covered in gunk). One of them is just inboard of the ICP. The other lifting eye on the passenger side rear has 2 hex-head bolts. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
There's definitely bolts holding on the lifting eye. Otherwise it would be cast with the head, which wouldn't really be something that they'd do at the factory. Too easy to break off a cast eye. You need to clean it to find the bolts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Both my 97's have the Allen heads. Little hard to see with the oil line in the way and a lot of built up oil and dirt, but they are there. You may just have to dig for them.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This shows the ICP on my '97:

(phone app link)

I don't remember what tool I used, but I don't remember having much trouble removing it. The replacement has a larger hex:

(phone app link)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Iirc, the early style sensors only have the hex under the sensor body. Newer sensors have it on top.
If you are replacing it, put some vise grips on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts