The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 03 f350 died the other day. 7.3 automatic. Driving down the highway at 65 mph it just died. No sputtering or anything wierd. Just died. Got it home and found the small tin nut on the back of the ipr was gone so I replaced the ipr. Still will not start. According to scangauge 2 my IPR duty cycle while cranking is 94.1 and ICP is at 14. Fuel pulse width is 60. Any ideas what's going on with this thing. Fuel in the bowl shows no signs of oil. Hpop reservoir is full. Any help is appreciated. Btw. Not sure if it matter but it has a adrenaline hpop, 160/0 single shot injectors and a hydra tune.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
A recommended starting point for troubleshooting is to remove any tunes and return to factory setting.

Its never restarted since it died that first time?

There are reports of failed CPS resulting in similar stalled conditions while driving. What is the history of yours?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A recommended starting point for troubleshooting is to remove any tunes and return to factory setting.

Its never restarted since it died that first time?

There are reports of failed CPS resulting in similar stalled conditions while driving. What is the history of yours?
I removed the tuner from the truck and still no start. The CPS is new from the dealership. No change. Showing 165rpm cranking. I personally have never seen a ipr duty cycle in the mid 90 percent range. Even when I had a massive injector seal leak. Could I of possibly got a bad ipr?

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
Try pulling the ICP sensor wiring connector, which will cause the PCM to use default values to control the IPR. If ICP senosr is only reporting 14 psi, then the PCM is going to tell the IPR duty cycle to ramp up.
Could be a bad IPR or wiring. Are you getting a check engine light?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try pulling the ICP sensor wiring connector, which will cause the PCM to use default values to control the IPR. If ICP senosr is only reporting 14 psi, then the PCM is going to tell the IPR duty cycle to ramp up.
Could be a bad IPR or wiring. Are you getting a check engine light?
I changed the IPR again with a new part from ford. Still the same thing. If I unplug the ICP my reading are
IPR duty cycle is 32.5%
ICP is 2336 lbs
With the ICP plugged in
IPR duty cycle is 94.1%
ICP is 14-15lbs

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
Those reading are to be expected. It sounds like the ICP sensor may be bad. What does it read Key on- Engine off? Should be zero.
Did you try starting it with the ICP unplugged?
Also check the wiring to the IPR and ICP. If there was oil inside the ICP connector, then the ICP is definitely bad. You'd also need to clean the connector at a minimum and possibly replace the pigtail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those reading are to be expected. It sounds like the ICP sensor may be bad. What does it read Key on- Engine off? Should be zero.
Did you try starting it with the ICP unplugged?
Also check the wiring to the IPR and ICP. If there was oil inside the ICP connector, then the ICP is definitely bad. You'd also need to clean the connector at a minimum and possibly replace the pigtail.

Ok I checked my hpop. And it seams my adrenaline hpop went bad. I guess it does have about 250,000 miles on it so I guess it lived its life.

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
How did you check it? The shop procedure is to block off both hoses and check pressure while cranking. Then if you don't build pressure, install a known good IPR and check again.
Before condemning it (HPOPs don't go bad that often, although it has happened), check to be sure the bolt holding the gear on the shaft is tight (95 ft-lb, IIRC). If the gear is slipping on the shaft, it won't be able to build pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts