The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently, installed my spare motor in my 95 f350 it is running great no issues mechanically except I noticed that my coolant system was turning a murky brown color which I am sure it is rust. The motor had been sitting about 13yrs with antifreeze in it so, i'm sure condensation made it's way in there. I used the motorcraft VC-1 and did a chemical flush and then flushed it probably 10 + times with water and it is still turning brown.My question is can I use motorcraft VC-9 iron cleaner in my 7.3? Any input would be much appreciated. 20200905_095617.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know you know but I have to ask anyway. You pulled the t-stat and had the heat on when you flushed ? On my gassers over the years when my coolant looked like that it was because I mixed some different coolants together that did not get along.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for the reply being as I just put the motor in the truck it only had one type of coolant in it the green with the additive. The 1st flush was with motorcraft VC-1 yes, I did remove the thermostat and have the heater on I also, removed both block plugs when draining the system after flushing with water about 10-12 times and still coming out like you see in the picture. I decided to remove the radiator and take it to the shop to have it cleaned professionally, which they said it was pretty bad. With the radiator out I back flushed the heater core as well as flushed the engine block when I put the radiator back in I really thought that it would get better but, to my surprise it was still pretty damn brown so, I flushed it no kidding about 10 more times it might be a little lighter in color but, not much. I was able to talk to my local dealer today and they said yes, that I can use the VC-9 cleaner in my engine so,this weekend I will be trying the motorcraft VC-9 iron cleaner which is supposed to etch and clean the block and hopefully, stop this mess. I need to get this done pretty soon as our temperatures have already got down to 33 degrees twice last week we are back up in the mid 40's all this week and next week but, I need to get my antifreeze back in the system before temps. start dropping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
that could be but very unlikely leaking oil into your coolant very common in 6.0s but rare as hell in 7.3s

·
Registered
6 Posts
how did the head gaskets look in the new motor also the o ring between the oil system and the oil system brown milky **** in a radiator rends to be oil

·
Registered
127 Posts
I knew you knew what you were doing mule, but I still had to ask. No offence. My old road track car started puking the same color coolant last summer at the end of a hard track day, it took a good 30 minutes of flushing to clean it out. Previous owner must have had a about 10 different mixes of coolant in it. It was only a 1.8L 4 banger. I was hoping for the same fix for you. That is crazy that it still has not cleared out, hopefully the cleaner will work and you can get it back on the road making money soon

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did the head gaskets look in the new motor also the o ring between the oil system and the oil system brown milky **** in a radiator rends to be oil
Thanks for the response it definitely is not oil contamination oil sheen will float with the sediment that was in the radiator it is definitely rust. No, milky mess anywhere, in the system. This motor was a genuine navistar international motor so, head gaskets are good. Before putting the motor in since it had been sitting for 13+ years I replaced all injector o rings, glow plugs just because I was there, rebuilt fuel bowl, new oil cooler, new water pump, new power steering pump, new vacuum pump. Pulled turbo to replace the o rings.This was a complete with wiring harness motor so, I tried to replace everything with any rubber in it since it had been sitting for so, long. It's running flawlessly (knock on wood) just dealing with the rust.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew you knew what you were doing mule, but I still had to ask. No offence. My old road track car started puking the same color coolant last summer at the end of a hard track day, it took a good 30 minutes of flushing to clean it out. Previous owner must have had a about 10 different mixes of coolant in it. It was only a 1.8L 4 banger. I was hoping for the same fix for you. That is crazy that it still has not cleared out, hopefully the cleaner will work and you can get it back on the road making money soon
No, offense taken. No, longer making money with it as I came off the road in 2011 but, I am trying to beat the winter temps and get the antifreeze back in it. Although, I don't need a 1 ton diesel dually anymore I just can't get myself to part with her she has been a great truck with her quirks. Lol She has been to every state in the lower 48 and some multiple time. Last year I was offered $11,000 for her including the spare motor which is damn good money considering the miles on the truck itself. I thought about it for about an hour and just couldn't do it and now that I put the new motor in it I will probably be buried in it. Lol That won't be cheap. Lol

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just think if you get buried in it, if someone digs it up in a 100 years. It will still be a better truck than most anything on the road.
You got that **** right... Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts