The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a 2011 f240 4x4 lariat 6.7. It's a very nice quiet ride compared to my 7.3. But when traveling above 55 mph it has a whistle coming from what sounds like the top of the windshield area. It's extremely annoying and drives me nuts ridding with him.
Is this common with the new trucks? Anywhere I can look to stop this?

It's not coming from the doors. But can't tell if it's the aerodynamics of the truck or something else.
Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are correct it is the top of the windshield, it's a fairly common occurrence.

Just run a small bead of clear silicon across the windshield and that should take care of it.

What's a f240? :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, typed this on my phone and must have hit the 4 instead of 5.

So do you put the bead on the window to rubber side? Or the rubber to roof side?

I'll go ahead and do this as soon as the rain stops next week.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
At the top of the glass is how I did mine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You can narrow down where the noise is coming from by putting masking tape over the sections of the windshield gasket and then driving around to try reproduce the sound. Then remove sections of tape until the noise comes back.

My whistle noise started after a windshield replacement. Apparently, the Glass Tech didn't seat the windshield perfectly and it was just a couple of millimeters too high on the top left corner. The window never leaked, but the small change in height caused the windshield gasket to vibrate like a kazoo in the airstream at highway speed. The Glass Company reinstalled my windshield and the noise stopped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guys...search the site. This has been all over the place for years. Look up Intermittent wind noise or something like that. A lot of trucks do it....especially the 2011 and up. And yes.....it is intermittent based on the speed of the truck and the angle and speed of the wind. My 2011 did it over a two week period last Spring Break...now I have gone a year without hearing it AT ALL. Seems to have re-sealed itself. I'm not messing with my seal as I am trading for a 2017 as soon as orders open. Take it to the dealer and have them seal...or re-seal the front window. Happy Kazooing !!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine was whistling due to a problem with the weather stripping that runs across the front of the truck, under the hood, just above the grill. The dealer replaced that rubber weather stripping and solved the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts