The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the question says would an 08 be a reliable truck? From what little I know the main issues were from job one and two? Mostly consisting of radiator problems And overheating stemming from there? I'm not really sure. I'm coming from an 03 6.0. So another lemon would be horrible.

I've heard that they are sensitive like the 6.0. You can let it be a grocery getter all the time. Fuel and oil filter changes are a have to routine.

I dont know about the dpf thing. I know that deleting it delivers better fuel milage, and allows it to run smoother. The delete pipe is not to expensive. But the delete tuners seem very expensive. Am I missing something?
How about the egr? Is that a must delete kinda thing, like the 6.0?

Also I've seen a few people say " if it's got that many miles on it it's probably fine. Most of the issues were found early in the 08's with few miles on them." The milage in question was around 150k. Which is what I would be looking at price wise

I dont know much about the 6.4 but anything you can tell me would be helpful.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would not hesitate to drive my '08 6.4L Job 3 anywhere. I bought it brand new and I have tallied up 123K on it's clock. It had a few problems in the beggining, including a cracked radiator like you have read up on. But it's been running like a top for years and I have had very few problems considering where it's been and what it's done for me. It's not deleted, it's not tuned. I don't drive it around like a hot rod. I stick rigorously to the Severe Maintenance Plan which from what I've read is key. It's my daily driver, work truck, weekend tow rig, and 99% of the time our first choice for road trips. Fuel Mileage is not overly impressive, but if we wanted amazing mileage we would drive something else. We just logged a 2,750 mile South West road trip and averaged 14.8 - so not outstanding, but acceptable for a Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4. The regen mode has always driven me nuts, it never fails to kick in right when I am about to get somewhere, but if you are conscious of it and disrupt the mode by putting it in park and idling for a few minutes before shutting down, you can someone get use to it. That's my only gripe really with the truck, but being from the bay area, ca., with tight smog restrictions, I decided a delete and tune was not in the cards for me, so I deal with it.

To answer the question in your title, yes, mine has been and continues to be reliable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look at a job three, online. I do believe it was deleted. At least dpf. Do you know what it was that the egr caused problems? I seen that many had the egr upgraded by ford. By job 3 were most of the bugs fixed. It's hard to find a strait answers or even somewhat straight answer on that v

·
Registered
240 Posts
The EGR coolers are subject to extreme heat (exhaust gases) which may cause cracks, allowing the coolant to mix and get into the engine internals. Especially possible if the oil cooler coolant tubes get clogged. The soot produced by the engine gets into the EGR Valve and plugs that up. Deleting does away with these problems, but is 50-state illegal for on-highway use. Your choice.

My truck (01/07 build with 146K) had the DPF deleted by the previous owner, and a H&S MiniMaxx tuner added. I will be changing out the egr tubes, and replacing the valve as it is completely coked up.

Reliable? Depends on how you keep up with the maintenance. Maintenance is not cheap, but certainly less expensive than repairs resulting from poor care.

As an aside, the mechanic who last worked on mine said he would rather have the 6.0. Go figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts