The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently turned the exhaust valve into an exhaust brake, activated by the brake pedal switch with a on off switch in the loop.
I am a bit worried to have changed the factory use of the exhaust valve and am wondering if I have been wise ?
I would appreciate any feedback
Bob.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
There has been others that have done this before via a rocker/toggle switch. The exhaust valve is there to help with warm up by keeping the exhaust contained to help heat up the engine quicker. Lot's of people remove them entirely without any issues, just a little longer warm up time is all. I don't see any issues on using it for that purpose, because basically you are just using factory components as a pac or bd exhaust brake essentially. It may not be as strong, due to these are oil pressured through the pedestal instead of air activated like a bd or pac brake system. The only issue that I see, is these valves are prone to leaking over time, hence why people remove them entirely. So over time I'm not sure how it will do. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Cody,
No one has touched my engine in 400,000kms and it has all the usual leaks( I have owned it for 5000kms now ) . I have sourced a heap of O-rings and will be going over the valley and oil cooler , dip stick base etc. etc.
Thanks.... Bob

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Thanks for that Cody,
No one has touched my engine in 400,000kms and it has all the usual leaks( I have owned it for 5000kms now ) . I have sourced a heap of O-rings and will be going over the valley and oil cooler , dip stick base etc. etc.
Thanks.... Bob
Then you shouldn't have any issues Bob :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I installed this mod years ago on my pickup. Its no Jacob's Brake, but it helps under towing load. Also helps with winter warm-up. I haven't seen a problem or down side to having it. And it was cheap and easy too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that tbeck,
I have noticed oil leaking in that area and have ordered the o rings for the actuator. I think that's ok though for a 19 yo truck and 400,000 kms. I have noticed my set up through the brake pedal switch problematic.... as when I push the brake pedal it seams to apply brakes before the switch it activated....Think I might remove the brake pedal switch and use a toggle.
Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:grin2:After sleeping on it thought I might try to adjust the brake pedal switch height first.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have had mine on a switch for a couple of years now and it works great, just remember that it takes a few seconds to activate and if it is an automatic you need to also put a switch to lock up torque converter....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts