The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be so many options that it is starting to get confusing.

And like everyone I want to go the easiest route.

Can I just filter WVO and mix into my tank during the warm part of the year?

What sort of residue would I leave in my tank?

What sort of residue would I leave in my injectors?

These are the methods I've heard mention of so far...

1.) process WVO into Biodiesel
2.) run WVO from a seperate tank w/ solenoids and heaters and stuff
2.) mix WVO up w/ #2 or Bio or Kerosene and dump it into your normal tank
4.) Dieselsecret (see #3)
5.) Run straight used motor oil in varying quantities
6.) Some Aussie processing of used motor oil

So many choices but I'm pretty confused on what I can get away w/ and what doesn't work. I see the future though and it is diesel power...

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">2</font>.) mix WVO up w/ #2 or Bio or Kerosene and dump it into your normal tank

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif The 2nd #2 is what I chose, except I never premixed anything. Just dump it in and let it mix on its own.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I filter once down to 10 micron and dump in the tank. During the summer I was running 75% veg 25% #2. Now I like to run 50/50 and when it gets colder I want to use engine coolant to heat my tank.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">2</font>.) mix WVO up w/ #2 or Bio or Kerosene and dump it into your normal tank

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif The 2nd #2 is what I chose, except I never premixed anything. Just dump it in and let it mix on its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so what kind of vehicle do you have? And how is it working? Can I get your exact formula?

I'm concerned about my injectors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
#4 is snake oil
#6 seems to be snake oil but he has good feedback so unsure. Since when you buy this stuff you a can't talk about it, not sure we will ever know

I'm in the #2 camp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif that didn't come out right.

·
Registered
210 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be so many options that it is starting to get confusing.

And like everyone I want to go the easiest route.

Can I just filter WVO and mix into my tank during the warm part of the year?

What sort of residue would I leave in my tank?

What sort of residue would I leave in my injectors?

These are the methods I've heard mention of so far...

2.) mix WVO up w/ #2 or Bio or Kerosene and dump it into your normal tank

So many choices but I'm pretty confused on what I can get away w/ and what doesn't work. I see the future though and it is diesel power...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am on the #2 and the 2nd #2. I only mix in the warm weather about 20% WVO to diesel or Jet A whichever I have at the time. Also looiking into doing #1.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif
After she hits operating temp it is WVO thru the heated tank etc....

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so what kind of vehicle do you have? And how is it working? Can I get your exact formula?

I'm concerned about my injectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...yea...ok........I dunno what happened to my signature.

I heat the oil somewhere to between 120º-140º in a barrel with a water heater element, filter it through a Baldwin pa2818 air filter element (same as tymar uses on his intake) Then use a sump pump to push it thru a 10 micron fuel filter/water seperator and finally thru a 5 micron bag filter. From there it goes into a clean barrel for use as fuel

Since spring of this year I have been keeping one tank full of unheated oil and biodiesel in the other. I start up on bio and switch over to veggie as soon as the temp guage starts to move. I try to remember to switch back again at the end of the day so I can start out the next AM on bio. There have been a number of times i either forgot to switch or waited to late and didnt have time to purge the system. It always starts with no problem BUT Im in Phoenix where we have 6 months of 100º plus temperatures.

Last winter I ran 50% in one tank and 75-80% in the other. Afew times it got to the low 40's and I had to let the GP's run thru the complete cycle before it would start. At the time I was blending with #2 but now that bio is as cheap or cheaper than diesel thats all I use

This month will be one year that Ive been using WVO with no problems, except maybe the 2nd stage on the lift pump. I did replace the pump last Nov but I dont know if it was from trying to pump cold, thick oil or if it was just its time to go out. I used to worry about the injectors, but not anymore. I figure if something goes wrong with them I have saved enough $$ in fuel costs that I will upgrade to a set of stageII's or maybe even III's

Another reason I now use biodiesel instead of #2 is because it is a great solvent and hopefully its cleaning the fuel system, injectors and cylinders as I start up and shut down on bio. I also alternate which tanks get the bio and veggie. Once the bio tank is empty I refill it with oil. One tank of bio usually lasts about 6-8 tanks of oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WVO

I have a 1987 Mercedes SDL300 and was wondering if you can just filter the WVO through a mechanical pump and two micro particulate filters then put into tank?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
If you're going to mix a gallon or two into a tank of diesel, you'll be fine. If you plan on running 100% WVO, you need a two tank setup so you can start and stop on diesel. You don't swap to WVO until the engine is at operating temp to avoid coking.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you're going to mix a gallon or two into a tank of diesel, you'll be fine. If you plan on running 100% WVO, you need a two tank setup so you can start and stop on diesel. You don't swap to WVO until the engine is at operating temp to avoid coking.
after 8 years of doing this...what RT said is true. a two tank separate system is the best way for straight WVO burning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Processing the oil is a whole other topic. If your oil is clean with no water in it run it through a 7 micron filter, mix it with 20% unleaded gas, and enjoy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
do whatever floats your boat. Its your motor. Personally, i dont mess around...(2-tank system) Let oil sit in barrell a few days, then transport it to filtering stage. Filter it, then heat to 160-180 to centrifuge, let it run a few cycles, then let sit to cool down(about a day) then final pass thru 1mic to holding/ready to burn oil tank. 100% wvo burning here...spring, fall, summer and winter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I noticed you had motor oil listed as #5 (I think). Whatever you do, don't mix wmo and wvo in your tank together. There's a good chance you may not make it home!

As far as what you should do, it's up to you. I would say the easiest route would be to filter it through some bag filters in a barrel and blend it up to 50% in your tank. If you did that, and you live in a moderate climate, you could most likely be fine for the life of your vehicle without harming anything.

One side note that hasn't been mentioned is that veggie oil is hard on rubber and plastic components. Veggie oil leaves varnish, too. If you have an older vehicle you may want to be prepared to replace hoses, o-rings, and some gaskets. Also, always keep a spare fuel filter around!!

Just keep the oil clean and maintain your fuel system regularly and it should be peachy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So how would you process WMO for use in your tank? Can you just filter it and throw it in? If you can do this, what percentage would by very safe? I am just looking to supplement my fuel needs, use up some of my wmo, while being safe and not destroying my truck. My truck is in my sig.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Justus- there are three approaches to this. The most basic is gravity. Mix 5% gasoline with the oil and let it settle for several months to years. Then, draw off the top. The second is filtration. Still settle for a couple weeks but then run it through sequential filters down to 2 microns. Maybe a 50, 10, and 2 micron set up. The third is centrifugation. You need a lot of oil to justify the initial expense, but this is the best way. After that mix 50-50 with diesel to minimize smoking. No gear oil in the mix or it will smoke. ATF and hydraulic oil work great.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tell me more about centrifugation if you could? Also what method are you guys using to filter? Do you have to have a pump and lines to push it through? It doesn't seem like it would filter just by gravity without taking a ton of time.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Right. On my setup (before my supplier when bust) I used a modified chevy sbc oil pump to drive the oil through three filter housings. The first was a crude water filter that caught the big stuff. My second was a 10 micron fuel filter. The third was a 2 micron CAT fuel filter. I figured since the stock 7.3 fuel filter was 10 microns, going to 2 was sufficient.

After I got going pretty good, I invested in a centrifuge. I used an Oberdorfer pump and a pressure driven centrifuge. With this setup, you have to run the oil through multiple passes to get it really clean. I still ran it through the 2 micron filter just in case. There are direct drive centrifuge setups that are even more expensive but do the cleaning in a single pass. Here's a website you might find enlightening - Oil Centrifuge 101 Getting Started doing Oil | CentrifugeForDummies.com

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sweet,thanks, I need sites for dummies... lol

·
Registered
965 Posts
Blending WVO into your diesel tank is a bad idea. I have personally seen a number of failed attempts to do this. Leaving WVO in the heads and injectors 100% WILL cause injectors failures. I have a few sets of injectors here that are proof of this.

WMO is arguably even worse, but this is not my area of expertise - so I will let those who claim success with it have their piece with that.

I have burned straight WVO in my '01 F350 for over 200k miles and put 120k greasy smile-miles on my Excursion before totaling it. I have NEVER had a fuel-related failure or break down and I have criss-crossed the country several times pulling 12k+ lb campers.

Yes, you totally will spend some money up front to 'do it the right way', but the return is not far out if you drive much. The great thing about getting started now, while fuel prices are low, is that WVO is also cheaper - actually it is now FREE and many places are starting to PAY for pick-up again!

A turn-key 2-tank WVO system for a (late) 7.3 or 6.0 PSD runs about $4.5k installed with a heated fuel pick-up in the 2nd fuel tank, heated fuel lines, heated filter, aux coolant pump, ISSPRO fuel level and fuel pressure gauges and switches mounted in a custom F650 dash like this:

Here's the 'redundant' VO fuel system (fuel pump, FPR, heated filter, purge valve and aux coolant pump):

And the big Racor PS120 pre-pump filter:

Here's a factory Excursion tank mounted in an F250/350 for a veggie tank!

With SS hard lines like this from the back of the heads and a Hytrel-covered SS braided hose connecting them to the VO system:

And more SS hoses replacing the failure-prone (tiny) stock fuel lines from the filter to heads:

This is no hack-job. The components of this system are equal or greater than OEM quality.

As far as value goes, the first advantage is you are ahead more EVERY time you drive, because you can burn 100% WVO (after the first couple of miles - we start/stop on diesel). So, even with D2 down to $2.50/gal the $4,500 (installed!) conversion doesn't take that long to achieve ROI. That's 1800 gals of diesel or 27k miles at 15mpg or 18k miles at 10mpg (like towing my 5ver). Even at the avg of 15k miles/year this is only 2yrs to ROI without towing!

Or, you can be on vacation 1000's of miles from home when your 'cheap fuel' blending experiment goes tits up and you need major engine repair to get home. Not only will your spouse be pissed, you'll get lectures from everyone who finds out what you've been doing - and you KNEW all along it was a stupid idea!!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
The 2nd #2 is what I chose, except I never premixed anything. Just dump it in and let it mix on its own.
BlueMule,

Whats wrong with your truck to result in all that black exhaust? Is that problem a result of not pre-mixing your WVO?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts