The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is worth the time and effort to clean out the intercooler? For those who have done it, did you see any noticeable difference? If so what were they and how did you clean it?

Thanks,

Griz

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am wondering if it is worth the time and effort to clean out the intercooler? For those who have done it, did you see any noticeable difference? If so what were they and how did you clean it?

Thanks,

Griz
Only took me about 1hr to take it out. I filled the intercooler with degreaser, soak over night. Emptied next day and sprayed more cleaner in it as I rinsed it out. Similar with the tubes, some soak, and scrub and degreaser. I did mine because I had ingested water into the intake and later found out I bent a rod. Getting my truck back soon. Last of the body work is getting done this week. Has rebuilt Black Water engine and single shots now, so don't know a true before/after difference. But the job isn't bad. May be worth it, hard to tell what the inside is like. Once you do it, then you have a better idea of what you got.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you monitor your intake temp? Mine is usually 10 degrees warmer than ambient. I'm not going to bother cleaning my IC. If you want to lower EGT's try a 1.0 exhaust housing. That's my next project.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's not a temperature or EGT concern.

And is the temperature split you are measuring against ambient temp. pre-intercooler or post-intercooler?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I will say this, I would not have done it if it wasn't filled with water. For one, my mechanic had already pulled it and flushed it from the last time my turbo went out. And I had already done the ccv mod. So....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Opps, I forgot the air sensor reading is from the IAT not MAT that is located in the spider. Never mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts