The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was replacing brake pads in front and noticed that I c an wobble the whole hub assembly a few millimeters in all directions, and the short axle shaft going inside the tube wiggles a bit. Whats bad? I put the lug nuts back on tight without the wheel and its was a bit better but still wobbled. What do I need to replace? Thanks---its up on a jack now awaiting your diagnosis lol

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A bad hub should make some noise as you spin in, It could be the hub but I would check the ball joints closely.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would that make it beat like a drum when stopping? I thought I had a warped rotor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you had a warped rotor you'd feel your brake pedal pulsating when braking while driving.
Jack it up and spin that wheel, you might/should hear some type of grinding if the bearing unit is bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it spins smoothly with no audible noises grab the wheel and tire, top and bottom and alternately push in at top and pull out on bottom and pull out on top and push bottom in. If you find play in doing this you might get lucky and just have to tighten the axle nut on the bearing unit, but if the nut is already snug then the purchase of a bearing unit is in your future. This is an assembly, you don't get a set of bearings like the old days anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
You should als
would that make it beat like a drum when stopping? I thought I had a warped rotor.
You should also be able to identify a warped rotor while the wheel is jacked up and you spin it by hand. You will feel and hear a friction point every time the wheel revolves to the same spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts