The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
2002 Ford - F 350 - Duelly - 7.3 PS - auto tranny

Went to start the truck this morning and it started up fine. Except!!
Started would not dis-engage. Key/on - Key/off a few times and that starter just kept on running even with the key in the off position and pulled out of the ignition switch.
Ran to my shop and got some tools and managed to pull the negatives off both batterys.
I would guess my starter was running constantly for 3 or so minuets.

Pulled out my owners manual and saw that relay #307 says: Starting Relay
Removed that relay and reconnected both negatives.
Plugged the relay back in and all was quiet.
Turned on the ignition switch - let the glow plug sequence do its thing, and now I have a no crank situation
Part numbers for the "Starting relay" and "Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay" are identical.
Swapped relays and still have a no crank situation.

Back to the owners manual and I see the fuse #45 (10a) is a Ignition Switch-Run/Start feed.
Pull the fuse and check with my multi-meter and fuse is good

Back to the owners manual and I see fuse #113 (30A) says "Starter Motor"
Check fuse and it is blown - replace with new fuse and still a no crank situation

Your thoughts please
Mike Tassinari

S

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
The easiest test would be to check voltage at the small terminal on the starter while someone attempts to crank. If you have voltage, the starter is the culprit. If you don't, then you have an issue in the wiring / fuses / switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Everyone.
So this is where I stand.
Installed new Starter today and still a no crank issue.

As RT suggested - I have no voltage to the small terminal.

My brother who is a heavy mechanic repair person, traced that wire all the way back to the fuse panel.
We removed the small block of wires from the back of the fuse block - - and when fed with 12 volts to that particular wire, the started turned over. So there is no broken wire from the wire block that plugs into the back of the fuse panel - all the way to the starter.

Also relay # 307 (Starting relay) when we turn on the ignition to start - we can feel that relay clicking on & off as we cycle the ignition switch.

It got dark so we stop at this point for the night.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Tassinari

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P/S
I forgot to mention my brother tested all fuses and found that they were all good

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
So, at the starter relay - you need to check to see if you have power coming there from the fuse panel. As I'm sure you know, there is fused power on one side, one side goes to the starter, one side goes to the ignition switch, and the other side grounded. You've verified the relay is engaging and the wire to the starter is good, so you just need to find out why you don't have power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved!!!

After reading many posts past night on this issue, It seemed the next course of action was to check the Ignition Module under the dash - or - the Transmission Safely Switch on the side of the transmission.
I am sorry for not knowing the "Lingo" associated with various parts, but I hope anyone reading this may understand what i am refering.

It was the Transmission Safety Switch located on the side of the transmission. Lots of green yuk on some of the terminals. Just replaced with a new part and used contact cleaner to clean where the block of wires bundle together.

RT - I never realized just how valuable you are to this Site. No matter where I went, you had some incite or opinion on various issues. Thank you very much!!!

Mike Tassinari

1 - 6 of 6 Posts