The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After all the trouble with the 03 6.0, it's hard to want another diesel at all. But anyway, looking at 7.3's and 5.9's. But I am curious as to if there is a better year to the 6.0. I have heard the 06/07 are better but I do not know why. What I do know is they have front coil springs for 05 and up along with a new stc fitting that goes bad. So my question is are there better years than the 03, and if egr deleted and studded what other issues are to arise?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
By 2006 most of the bugs had been worked out and most improvements implemented from the factory, The newer updated stc fitting; improved hP oil pump; improved egr cooler; down pipes and dummy plugs etc contributed to better overall dependability.

That said even after 06 till the end of production some sometimes have failures of some kind.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Unfortunately, none of the trucks received the updated STC fitting or the updated dummy plugs from the factory. The 08-10's probably did though (E series).

The bad thing about the 05-07 trucks was the weak EGR cooler and the weak HPOP discharge connection (STC fitting).None had the updated fuel pressure regulator spring either. All-in-all though, a very "correctable" set of issues (ie not a lot of money and effort).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank y'all. That is mostly what I thought. But for the most part did they have the main issues of injectors, or ficm to go down often. (I know that there is a lemon in everything). I do believe our 03 is a lemon though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
03 and early 04 were very bad years. I love my 05. If you can get a 05 to 07 for a good price I would buy it and do any updates or upgrades that haven't been done. Unfortunately injectors are a wearable item in these truck due to the design. But with proper maintenance they should last 150K to 200K miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually

I would argue the early production 6.0's were the least problematic of all the variations of the 6.0.. Low volume hpop and small oil rails and no dummy plugs along with a less efficient egr cooler that didn't fail as frequently was nice.. Only real problems were the crappy inferred ebp programming that was problematic. A lot of early 6.0 issues could've been addressed by programming fixes.. As long as they were left alone were very reliable

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the injectors were a problem across the board, then another 6.0 is not an option lol. 3000 or more for a new set is not what I want to do again.

I dont know about the 03 being the least problematic, this truck goes down every summer. Count on it

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ford 6.0 injectors with upgrade spools are $1700 dallor. They all can have injector problems. I'm still on stock injected with 160000 miles.
What problem have you had on ur 2003.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was including labor.

The egr, injectors several times, and one other thing that was not cheap. We've sunken thousands into this truck and it's very tiresome.
The truck only has 173 or so on it. This is within about 40 some thousand miles.

·
Registered
579 Posts
2005 to 2006 still going to have the egr problem probly sooner. Did u do all 8 injector several times and when u did injector did they do the injectors with upgraded spool. Or did you just replace them as they went bad.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got a 5.9 cummins to. I've done injectors, lift pump, auto transmission, ball joins, ac pump, power window have problem and so on. All truck have problem when ur getting up past 150000 miles

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Many injector problems are related to poor oil maintenance or low fuel pressure.

Also, sometimes FICM problems are interpreted as injector problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The egr problems don't necessarily bother as I know that once it's fixed its done. And yes the injectors were done as they went.

Did your cummins injectors go down because of the weak lift pump installed on them?

·
Registered
579 Posts
No 2003 to 2007 cummins have injector problem my 2003 had problem and my brothers 2007, lost his to. Best thing to do on 6.0 is if a injector goes out replace that hole bank on that side with the reman injector with upgrade spools.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts