The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there someway to tell if the wheelbearing is bad with out tearing thw wheel all apart, 91 f-250 4x4, I have some noise in the right front, told at a front end shop it is the wheel bearing, he did not rase the truck to check the wheel, I want home and jacked it up, I am a big guy and I think a bit tuff, buy I could not move the tire top / bottom from top, or in & out from the sides, I was thinking it may be something in the hub has want, I had to use the 4x4 two days ago, and I could hear a bit of a sound like metal to metal, but when I took it out I did not hear it, any ideas guy.

Thanks so much for your time, and smart minds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
first of all pull your front hubs out before you check for wheel bearings. if it is the stock ford hub you will find it has piled up inside. you were right to jack it up but instead of tring to lift it get a long pry bar and place it under the wheel and a small block under the bar so you can push down( yhis also works for checking king pins and front ball joints) you will feel with the bar when it travels and stops. Im going to say most likely it is the front hub.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Devdg, I will try that this am before I start ripping it all apart, Thanks and have a Grate Day.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Is there someway to tell if the wheelbearing is bad with out tearing thw wheel all apart, 91 f-250 4x4, I have some noise in the right front,
Actually there's no way to tell without inspection. You can have pitted races and pitted tapered rollers and still have no excessive play---that's no foolproof bearing check at all. Also if a bad bearing has been run long enough to make noise chances are a race has spun and ruined the spindle and/or hub. I've seen a few galded to the hub so badly in bigger trucks that you had to weld a bead around the surface of the race in order to shrink it so it could then be driven out.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I've seen a few galded to the hub so badly in bigger trucks that you had to weld a bead around the surface of the race in order to shrink it so it could then be driven out.
Ever try dry ice? I've heard good things about using it for cold shrinking auto body but I don't know about anything more substantial.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I didn't mean it was a fool proof test your perfectly right it very well could be a spun bearing and pitted races and bearings. but isn't the front 4 wheel drive hub the weak link in the front ends for fords? I personally would not trust a shop that wouldn't even look at it and just spout off a cause. I have never tried dry ice but CO2 works wonders.

What kind of noise are you hearing I have a clunking noise from my front axle but I need to rebuild my front axle. have you checked your brakes? many possibilities for noises and many different reasons for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
every bad wheel bearing i've dealt with the o=noise would go away if you turned one direction and get louder turning the other direction. not sure about trucks though(i've only had bearings go bad on cars).

just my $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts