The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dead-ended plug on the driver's frame rail near the rear axle of my '04 Ford E350 15 pass. van. The cap on the plug has part #F6TB-14A666-A. Can anyone tell me if this is the trailer hookup harness? I know it's not the end, there must be another plug that inserts into this and runs to the back. It is definitely not one of those round trailer type plugs. Once I got the cap off the end of the plug, I can see four metal pins inside the plug. I am getting ready to install a hitch and need to wire up a trailer lighting connector.

· Registered
4,723 Posts
Get yourself a test light and see if the wires have power for turn signals, running lights etc.

I can't see buying the special harness. Just cut off the end and use SEALED butt splices to extend the wire back. I like to use a combination 7 round / 4 flat box, that way you can hook up to almost anything.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DUH! Never even thought of that-thanks!

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO I got under there and probed the leads with my test light and it IS the trailer plug. Now I can just cut off the end and use butt splices to run my 4 wire flat harness to the back. Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
4,723 Posts
Just make sure that you use shrink tubing or the special heat shrink butt splices. If you use regular splices covered in tape it only takes a few years for the winter salt to get into the wire and start eating it away.

· Administrator
25,206 Posts
Brown/white shows as the running lights (taillights), runs through a relay powered from Fuse 14, and activated by the brown wire from the headlight switch. You may need to install the fuse (which also provides power to the backup light relay).
Info is from an '03 wiring diagram, but should be the same multiple years.

· Administrator
25,206 Posts
So I connect to it for tails snd check for fuse?...don't use brown wire?
Yes, assuming you have the relay in place also. Is there also a brown wire at the trailer connector?
Use your voltmeter to see if it's hot when the lights are on. The relay is there to keep from overloading the taillight circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.