The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new member and owner for 3 years of a 1999 f-250 7.3L fwd. I have had the recent misfortune of needing to rebuild my transmission. After talking with my repair shop guy, he recommended ordering either a genuine ford 26 row or 31 row cooler (one of the ones for the 6.0). Anyhow I ordered the 26 row, it was delivered today, and I was a little taken aback at the condition of the package. I have tried to attach pictures, which should speak for themselves, but here is a description in case the pictures don't work:

arrived on my front porch all busted up looking covered in plastic. The plastic had big holes in it already. The box was half soggy, and poorly taped. When trying to take the plastic off, the box basically disintegrates easily despite trying to take it off as carefully as possible. Inside the cardboard is soggy packing paper plus some intact bubble wrap. EDIT: It rained at my house early this morning about 10 hours before it showed up. My porch was totally dry by the time it showed up.

As for the cooler itself, there are several minority dented or dinged fins. There is one spot I would describe as significantly dinged. Additionally, the mounting brackets seem to be bent in unusual positions.

Furthermore, I ordered part no. 5C3Z-7A095-CA. There is some poorly legible imprinting on the bottom of the cooler saying something about using US patents, such and such, and the words "long Canada" for some reason. The only other numbers I can see on it are 013700 and 5C34-7A095-CB. That imprinting is very clear, the 4 is not a misread Z, and the A is not a misread B. The number doesn't show up super clear in the pic, but it is easy to read in real life. I have counted the rows, and it is indeed a 26 row cooler.

Issues for me:
1. Is it genuine ford, or even the right part?
2. Would you be satisfied with the packaging of this part that is supposed to reliably cool my newly rebuilt transmission?
3. Are the dents and dings typical? I know some of them are minor and not well visualized, but I just wasn't really expecting it to have any or barely any.
4. Are you concerned about the bent appearing mounting brackets? Is that the way it is supposed to come?
5. Would you be concerned about the long term structural integrity of a cooler that arrived in such packaging with bent brackets, and dings?

Sorry for the long first post. I typically don't have too many problems with my truck, and it's mostly stock, so I don't really frequent diesel forums. Any help would be most appreciated. Not looking to bash a company here, I just want to know if this is correct, expected, or if anyone else would ask for money back/exchanged part.

More pics to come in 2nd post shortly. maximum of five per post.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Its pretty simple. You paid good money for a product you will be satisfied with.

The seller wants satisfied customers and a good reputation.

The shipper appears to have been negligent...which happens sometimes.

Return it with the photos you have provided. That cooler is damaged.

EDIT: OK, I just looked at the cardboard box and much of that damage is old and not the result of recent shipping issue. Whoever prepared that item for shipping at the warehouse knew full well that they were sending you a POS. I hope you paid with a credit card.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I ordered a 26-row from one of our sponsors, AutoNation Ford, on 07/30/2015 and it was
P/N: 5C3Z-7A095-CA.

This would have been the latest revision of the 6.0 Cooler available as recently as 9 months ago because Tousley does not mess around that way.

When I google search the P/N you received, some old threads say that the 26-row cooler was "improved" at some point around 2008. The P/N they sent you is the old one and the new improved 26-row is the 5C3Z-7A095-CA. If Mark Kovalsky happens to see this thread he will likely know the actual history.

That thing must have sat around on the shelves for some years and that would explain why its beat up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts