The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just bought a 2001 Ford F-650 SuperCrewzer with 92k miles for use as a fifth-wheel tow vehicle.

I'm looking to change all the fluids with Amsoil and can't find a definitive source for capacities or recommended fluids.

It's got the Caterpillar 3126B (300/860) with the Allison MD 3066 6-speed automatic.
I'm looking specifically for:
- Crankcase oil capacity & spec
- Auto tranny fluid capacity & spec
- Rear-end capacity & spec

I'd gladly accept any other tips as to what I might need to get her road ready as well as general care & feeding. This is my first Diesel of any kind and my first medium-duty truck.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

· Registered
2,580 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Don't have your engine, but I believe the engine should just be any diesel rated oil, like the 15W-40. If you live in cold weather, the synthetic 5W-40 is a good choice.

The Allison trans uses specification TES-295 fluid, which is a full synthetic. One brand name is Castrol Transynd. Look at this link for Allison approved fluids:
On-Highway Fluids

You can use Dexron III, but with reduced change intervals. The synthetic is what was the likely factory fill and is a better fluid. The TES-295 fluids are fairly expensive though, like $40/gal range. Your trans should also have a spin-on filter. That is what you change with a fluid change. The internal filter is not really needed, and is more of a screen type. The spin-on is what catches the fine stuff to keep the fluid clean.

Reactions: ford_doctor
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.