The Diesel Stop banner

ITP regulated return fuel lines hardening

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dirck 
#1 ·
Anyone have an issue with hardening fuel lines and consequent leaks of your ITP regulated return fuel system?

I've got an early kit(one of the first kits sold probably). It's a great kit and has run great for several years now.

Unfortunately, one of my bowl to head fuel lines started oozing at the ends. When I tried cutting it back and reseating the fittings, the interior of the fuel line is hard and crumbling. I may pull all the lines now and check the rubber(fearing the worst). That debris can flow right into the injectors, the $2k+ injectors.

Thanks in advance for any comments

#2 ·
If their doing that you'd better replace them pronto. Everything wears out eventually...some things faster than others...just no way around it.

#3 ·
Thats not good. I just got the newer strictly diesel kit last summer but it has ss wrapped lines. I have however had the pre-pump kit for 5 yrs and did not notice any problems. That has now been upgraded with the new regulated retuurn kit though. I had the pre-pump kit when they were still ITP.

I hope the best for you, that would really suck to get some of that debris in your system.

#4 ·
I have an early ITP regulated return kit also, and had one line start leaking at a fitting. It wasn't hardened, however, and I replaced just that one line when it happened. I do plan on replacing all the lines sometime this summer, or maybe I'll do that soon as the truck is currently down for a tranny problem.

Like losfinch said, everything wears out eventually. Definitely replace them ASAP if they're breaking down on the inside.

#5 ·
Any idea where to get more of that fuel line? It's 1/4", diesel, and 300psi rated. Nothing like that around here.

#7 · (Edited)
Where are you looking? We have a place called Alaska Rubber Supply that carries all sorts of hoses and will make up whatever kind of hose you need, including hydraulic lines. That's where I got mine replaced. Just toss them the old one and they come back with a matching new hose. Pretty reasonable prices.
We also have a Parker store in town, but Anchorage is the biggest city up here (half the population in Alaska lives in town or nearby.)

Surely with the Naval Air Station, there would be hydraulic shops nearby supporting them. Let your fingers do the walking. ;) http://www.yellowpagecity.com/US/MD/Waldorf/Hydraulic+Equipment+Repair/

Online you might try McMaster Carr. They have nearly everything hardware related.

I think you're right about the hose being 1/4".

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Most likely at the parker store if you have one. Not sure where you would go online.
are you sure its only 1/4"?

can you send a pic of one of the lines? I have some fuel line that never got used from my regulated return kit. Its the latest fuel line they are using, but I think its 3/8"

I will also post a pic of the line I have so you can see.

#8 ·
Looking for Dennis S to chime in on line degradation/improvements?

Dennis S,

Can you comment on the new black coated lines and degradation eta?

Is there a life expectancy on the regulated return lines based at thermal exposure and fuel affects?

Please let us know what to expect with todays 6.0l kits re longevity?

Thanks,
Potential client(s)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.