The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever got theirs fixed ? I've read a bunch of threads here and no real conclusions.

'93 with 140000 original IP and injectors. Developed this tick a few years ago and I'm trying to get it figured out today

Sounds like a loose rocker/bad lifter but I wonder about an injector also. I have the RH valve cover off and everything looks good in there as far as I can tell. I started the engine and watched a felt all rockers and nothing out of the ordinary.

I have not removed the LH side yet to check them. I loosened the injector lines while running and I'm sure I can still hear the tick maybe a bit quieter but still there when I loosen the RH rear injector.

I'm going back out to pull the LH valvecover to look around in there now

What else to look for ?

Truck has a snow plow and is used very little anymore but this tick is concerning.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
There is a heat riser butterfly in the exhaust manifold, I think it is on the passenger side. Those things loosen up over time, and can sound just like a collapsed lifter. You might look into that. It drove me crazy when it happened on the '89 that I used to have. I have also heard an exhaust leak sound like that.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Unless I've clicked myself into the gas engine section, I've never seen a diesel engine with a heat riser butterfly.>:)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My 1989 7.3 N/A diesel ford f-350 had a butterfly in the exhaust manifold right above where the pipe hooks up. I assumed it was a heat riser, I don't really know what it was for. I know it was there, because I removed it. Then the tick tick tick stopped.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Passenger side I think. It's been ~ 15 years since I did that, and the truck was made into tin cans right after it broke the crankshaft at ~ 8 years ago.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
My 1989 7.3 N/A diesel ford f-350 had a butterfly in the exhaust manifold right above where the pipe hooks up. I assumed it was a heat riser, I don't really know what it was for. I know it was there, because I removed it. Then the tick tick tick stopped.
Do you think it was the leftovers of an exhaust brake? With a heat riser (gas engine) when it's closed some exhaust is diverted through a narrow port through the intake manifold to heat the carb, intake system when cold and diesels have no such system. The butterfly had a bi-metallic strip which would close it at low temps.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It very well could have been an exhaust brake, but it looked factory, by the way the manifold was cast. I didn't see any springs, but thought at the time that the spring had rotted off. The shaft for the butterfly was counter weighted though, which is what was causing the tick. I also thought that it was to warm up up the engine water temp. kind of like the back pressure valve on the older PSDs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My truck is a factory turbo. I did head gaskets around 110k miles. The rockers were worn badly, I had to replace all of them plus some pushrods and a valve or two because of abnormal wear on the stem surface.

My guess was that previous owner let the truck idle for extended periods, which I'm told these trucks do not like.

Oh and I did the heads without pulling the engine, it really was not a problem. I did not have any help except a standard engine lift which I used with a homemade lifting bracket to remove and replace the heads so it can be done.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It could well be that the heads need rebuilding, I was trying to say to rule out the simple possibilities first.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I had the tick nailed down to the #4 injector so I went ahead and put a set of injectors in. It did not fix the tick but the engine runs better now so I guess It was time for them any way.

I've had both valve covers off and checked everything with a stethoscope with engine running and cannot find any problems in the valve train. No loose rocker arms or slap of any kind.

I really can't find the tick anywhere with the stethoscope.

Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Put your stethoscope on the IP, at the exhaust manifolds, at the collection point where the pipes hook up, and at any connection of the pipe all of the way to the end of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Another place to check is the lift pump. If the lever isn't coming all the way back, the cam could be slapping it and making that tick.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check with your shop and see if anyone is missing a Timex watch. :smile2:

Reactions: LMJD
1 - 14 of 14 Posts