The Diesel Stop banner

I've joined the BTS ranks today!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TheHammer69 
#1 ·
That's right, I installed my BTS today....Yep, my BTS valve body has replaced my Factory Tech Valve Body! What? You thought I was talking about installing a BTS Tranny? Yeah, that would be nice but it isn't in the money cards.

Now some of you may be like, "Huh? BTS makes a valvebody?" Well, sort of. The BTS valve body kit is basically a fully assembled and modified Transgo shift kit that features Brian's changes that Transgo wouldn't implement after he originally helped Transgo develop their kit. I got lucky and got mine from a certain vendor who was considering marketing them but unfortunately decided not to because of supply issues. I was meant to be a Guinea Pig as to see if a FTVB truck that had any shift flare issues could be fixed with a different valve body. Well I have to say, my 2-3 shift flare has done gone and disappeared on me. BTW, we originally tried to fix the shift flare with programming but it wasn't effective enough.

Another plus of the BTS kit is that it shifts softer when just cruising around and firms up to a snappy shift when in the Go-pedal. Unfortunately my FTVB tended to lack a softer shift cruising around. I used to not mind the firm FTVB shifts while cruising but they just started irritating me after some time. The installation was not any more difficult then a FTVB install. Basically just drop the FRONT accumulator valve body and just before you bolt in BTS's completely assembled accumulator valvebody, you install a small plate between the BTS valve body and the surface the valve body bolts to. It was really that simple. Everything came assembled and the plate was pre-drilled to for a 400 rwhp vehicle. I know I am not at 400 yet, but i WILL grow into it. If I ever exceed that, supposedly I can drop the valve body, remove the plate, call Brian for the information and drill a few holes larger in the plate for more horsepower rating and put it all back in. BTW, i originally was gonna have had one set-up for 300hp but the 400hp one became available so I got it instead.

Now if anybody wants one, there is always the possibility of sweet talking Brian into building you one but he is a hard one to get hold of sometimes and he was really slow getting them to the vendor who supplied it to me. I was told that Hypermax was selling the BTS valve bodies but you may have to sit down for this...wait, you're at your PC, you should already be sitting down...anyway, supposedly Hypermax has them and has added the typical Hypermax mark up to them, supposedly to the tune of $450. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case anybody was interested, since about the only valve body comparisons we see are the FTVB vs. the Sonnax kits. The funny thing is, I have two FTVB's in my garage, one brand new unused Diesel version and the one that I just took out that is set up the old fashioned lightning way from when there was only one type made by Factory Tech. I sent a message to Greg Evans asking which one he wants returned to him since he actually sent me the diesel one to replace the lighning one. Which ever one I'm left with will probably be found in the classifieds on this site in case anybody was interested.

Hammer

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm, I like the idea of being able to tune it yourself to a degree. Now if you want to change the shift firmness I assume that will require it being sent back to BTS.

BTW check your PMs.

#3 ·
I called Brian and told him what I was runing and he built a valve body for my needs. Now this is not a high priority thing as he has more than he can do, so it took a couple of weeks to get it to me. I wasnt in a hurry so I was happy. When I had the truck in the air and the pan off I called Brian and he told me to drill 2 more holes in another plate and then assemble everything. He will tell you what size to drill the hole that controls what ever issues you may have. Mine is real nice, it is firm everywhere except shifting into OD. Which still feels like a stock shift. After talking to Brian about it he said whenever I wanted to pull the pan again we could change a hole size to slick it right out. I am going this week to have Jody Tipton program my truck in person. I plan to call Brian next week and make any needed final adjustments. Not a big deal. I have been running mine now for about 6 weeks. I like it better and better the more I drive it.

FOMOGO

#4 ·
Sounds like you have something special there. Next you will be replacing your trans with a BTS, when your TC fails, because it will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have something special there. Next you will be replacing your trans with a BTS, when your TC fails, because it will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't gonna spend money on an expensive TC just so it could break my tranny. Instead I bought an inexpensive TC and if it breaks, then I am at the same point anyway. I could have shocked it to death or shrapnelled it to death, either way, it will probably die someday no matter what. So a 6.0 TC is what I have until the eventual death comes, then I will decide to spend the big tranny money. BTW, have you done the failure analysis yet on your TC/tranny?

Hammer

#6 ·
Ya, I was where you are now. I was too tight to go BTS(should have listened to NickG), but now it's costing me more. Should have done it right the first time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. When the TC fails, it sometimes takes out your trans too. Good luck Hammer and be careful with your HP up-grades. I think the HPOP system killed mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No, haven't pulled it yet, waiting on my BTS, I will post info as soon as I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

#7 ·
Install a transmission fluid filter in case the T/C ever gives up. That way the crud from the T/C would be captured by the filter instead of crudding up the lines, coolers and messing up the transmission. I wish I had done so before my stocker gave up on me.

#8 ·
Ahhh, there's an idea! Only problem when you use a real TC(PI), bye bye, tranny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

#9 ·
Hammer is using a 6.0 T/C so its worth it. Anywhere from $30 to $100. It was a lot of work to flush out the crud out of the cooling system.

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Hammer is using a 6.0 T/C so its worth it. Anywhere from $30 to $100. It was a lot of work to flush out the crud out of the cooling system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a magnefine on mine.

Hammer

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
So whats better about the 6.0 TC?

Also lets say you have a stock truck and all you did was replace the factory TC with a 6.0 TC, what would be the difference in performance or towin?

[/ QUOTE ]

well for starters, the current revision of the 4R100 converter is completely identical to a 6.0 TC except the 6.0TC has around a 300rpm lower stall speed and a thicker front plate. The older 4r100 converters that came with most 4r100's are not as strong as the new revision. They had smaller clutch lockup surface area, because most had only a single or double disc clutch unlike the current triple disc. The internals were welded and not furnace brazed like the current revision. I don't think the Torrington bearing was as stout as the newest one either. So a basic new revision 4r100 TC will be better than what you have. If you wanted a stronger, less flexing front plate, then you would move up to the 6.0 TC. The downside would be that if you have a bone stock truck, the slightly slower stall speed of the 6.0 TC will tend to feel boggier on take offs when the TC is unlocked. If you have a programmer or chip that can fuel your bottom end, then the 6.0 TC will work great.

Hammer

#13 ·
HERE IS AN UPDATE!!

Apparently Brian has been recieving numerous calls about his BTS valve body after I made my post and seems to be realizing that there actually MAY be a real market out there for them. So, if people are interested, i'd recommend to keep calling him. If enough calls happen, the Vendor I recieved mine from may start selling them since Brian doesn't have the time to handle individual orders himself. If you think you know the vendor I am talking about, DON'T CALL THAT VENDOR!!!! You will get no where doing that at the moment. Call BTS and tell them you want one or leave messages on their answering machine. Oh, if the Brian decides to make a real go at this, the price will be MUCH cheaper than the Hypermax price listed! The number for BTS is: 870-436-(FORD)3673

Hammer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.