The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been running Jet A in my 2002 7.3 for a great deal of years without any problems. I use stanadyne with every fill up to add lube to the fuel and im good to go, My only complaint is the motor oil that I change every 3k is black black do to the high surfer content in the fuel but that's why i do it at 3k and not 5k. Any way has anyone used this type of fuel in a newer diesel engine like an 6.0 or 6.7? Im assuming it would be safe to run if the engine was deleted? Would it be safe to run if the engine had all of its emissions components still attached? Im looking at getting a newer truck and I want to know which route to go. I get the fuel for no cost that's why i have been using it for so long. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I have read not to use Jet-A in DPF equipped engines.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
The 7.3 injectors are very forgiving. The 6.0 slightly less so, but you’d probably still get away with it. The 6.4 and 6.7 use a high pressure fuel pump that is exquisitely sensitive to lubricity. You’d never be able to use enough Stanadyne to get them to survive. Maybe Optilube purple or hot shot secret lubricity formula, but I wouldn’t risk it. It’s a $10,000 repair if it doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I work near an airport and a 6.0L helicopter service truck come in regularly that used Jet-A. Had one HFCM fail that I did not think had anything to do with the fuel. The engine never a fuel injection concern that I can recall. Since Jet-A fuel has very high sulfur content it's lubrication quality is good however sulfur poisons DPF and SCR catalysts causing them to fail. Dedicated airport vehicles and military vehicles generally do not have emissions equipment therefore it is common to see the fuel in use in diesel trucks there. I recall reading something indicating that low sulfur jet fuel was being discussed at one point due to air quality issues but I have no idea if that ever came to realization.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, I have been running Jet A in my 2002 7.3 for a great deal of years without any problems. I use stanadyne with every fill up to add lube to the fuel and im good to go, My only complaint is the motor oil that I change every 3k is black black do to the high surfer content in the fuel but that's why i do it at 3k and not 5k. Any way has anyone used this type of fuel in a newer diesel engine like an 6.0 or 6.7? Im assuming it would be safe to run if the engine was deleted? Would it be safe to run if the engine had all of its emissions components still attached? Im looking at getting a newer truck and I want to know which route to go. I get the fuel for no cost that's why i have been using it for so long. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all for your input! Looks like im going with a 6.0!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
From what I read I really do not see any advantage to using Jet-A for the every day truck owner. There are reasons the military and airports do it but I would be interested to know if they treat theirs when being used in diesel engines. Jet-A is not #2 diesel and performance may very likely be affected.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The advantage with using Jet A for calend is that he gets it for FREE!
So if he can delete all the emissions crap on the truck & assure himself he is getting a proper amount of lubrication in the fuel, I think that is what he wants to know. I also thought the higher sulfur content equaled MORE lubrication in the fuel (but of course more pollutants out the exhaust). So I guess it's a matter of what your stand on such issues is. Also Inspections might be an issue depending where you are. I wonder what other differences there are in Jet-A? There must be higher standards for it's quality & how it's stored... Water content testing?... I mean if it's going in AC to 45,000 feet...There must be other (concerns) that are addressed/ GGT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts