The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
We use JP8 in all of our HMMWV's, apples and oranges when it comes to emissions. Oops long dead thread, my bad

Oops, long dead thread.
It started in 2005, then jumped to 2008, and now has jumped to 2010. Nothing wrong with that as long as 2008-up guys with DPF exhaust components realize the rules have changed about sufphur in fuel.

Diesel vs Jet Fuel

I've worked in aviation for some time and it is pretty common for the Diesel owners in this industry to supplement their fuel with Jet A. In the 1970's I worked in the Canadian Arctic in the aviation division of an oil company. Our equipment all burned the same fuel, Hercs, 727s, choppers, generators, the rigs, furnaces, trucks and cats. Everything was fueled from the same tank. I've never heard of a diesel being damaged by jet fuel. However I can see there is a difference in that jet fuel isn't as oily so if I get a bunch of free jet fuel then a few bucks for 2 cycle treatment is a reasonable investment.
I don't think we should ever expect a straight answer from Chevron or any other oil company as they are producing a product to a spec and are responsible to do nothing else but that. For them to recommend that one product specification is good in an other application would be assuming liability for the misuse of the product.

Ignoring all the BS in here,

I ran over 1000 gallons of Jet A in my 7.3 over almost 10 years with no oil additives and zero problems. Truck had near 200k miles on it with the original fuel system and injectors, Hell, original everything.

I've been a GSE mechanic for about 4 1/2 years now, and run Jet-A almost exclusively in my 7.3l IDI (about 80% of the time.) Between the daily sumps of the trucks & fuel farm and any maintenance/filter changes there's more available than I could use if I had 3 trucks. As has been noted already, you see a drop in fuel mileage. I went from about 17mpg on diesel to 12 on Jet-A. Idle RPM is about 50-75 lower than with diesel, and the lower viscosity of Jet-A results in more cranking for hot starts. I usually dump a full 32oz bottle of Power Service in with every tank, it helps with the lubricity but does nothing for the viscosity. When I filled up today I added 1qt 15W40 to my tank to see if that increased the viscosity, but it doesn't seem to have any significant effect.

Unless you're using fuel from a defueled aircraft that had Prist injected, you don't have to worry about Prist. On our trucks at least, Prist is stored in a separate container and is only injected when the pilot or airline requires it, at a ratio of 11-13oz Prist/100 gallons Jet-A (1:1000 ratio.)

Lastly, when your tank gets sticked they're not looking for only a red color, it's an actual litmus test in which the stick will change color or otherwise indicate the presence of the off-road dye. ATF and MMO won't cause a reaction. Of course, depending on your state's laws you may get in trouble for burning unapproved fuels.

An update on running Jet-A: I've been running it almost exclusively since maybe last October, but have since learned that when the temps start getting much over 70, my injector pump doesn't like the lower viscosity. It runs kinda crappy in the heat and takes longer to start when I'm running 50% diesel, so I'm going to try 75% diesel to see if it's better. In the cold weather Jet-A is great, I've tried adding a couple quarts of engine oil to the tank to increase viscosity when running 50% Jet-A but it doesn't seem to help much and the exhaust smells bad. At least in Maine we have more days below 70 than above, so I'll still be ahead at the end of the year LOL

I know this is an old post but I am new to this site and hope to get an question answered. I am looking to run Jet-A in my 6.4 Powerstoke. I am looking to add "Diesel Kleen" with cetane boost that includes "Slick Diesel" for lubricant. I have done a DPF delete on my truck. Is there anyone out there with any advise? I am getting 150+gallons a month for free so long term problems may pay for themselves with fuel savings.

I never like to sound like an expert but I think I can speak out on this one. Raw Jet A has a HFFR score of around 720. Raw ULSD has an HFFR score of around 680. High sulfer #2 has an HFFR score of 400. 2cycle oil will drop the HFFR 150 points. Optilube will drop it 300 points.

I have run Jet A and optilube in my 5.9 Cummins. My friend runs 2 cycle and Jet A with no problems. If you dont want it give me a call!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.