The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't the correct place for this but I trust your opinions and judgement so much that I wanted to reach out for advice and hope that the mods don't move this ;)

I need to buy a good farm tractor (never owned one) and was wondering if any of you have any tips or at least know of good tractor forums.

·
Registered
898 Posts
How much land will you be working and what will it be used for.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much land will you be working and what will it be used for.
5 acres. Need to grade a 1000 foot gravel driveway and will need a grader scraper and a loader. Also, wanted to have a snowblower (front mount) so will either need a mid PTO or an Erskine Snow Blower that mounted on the front but operates off of the rear PTO.

I'm mostly worried about the new emissions crap (Tier 4) that they are putting on tractors these days. With as much trouble as we all have had with EGR Coolers, etc. I really don't want to worry about that on my tractor as well.

Again, sorry to be this far off topic on this forum. I just can't find a similar forum (with a smart phone app) for tractors.... Maybe I'll start one ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well we still run older tractors that don't have the emissions. They are easer to work on and we can find them for a quarter of the price on Craigslist and they usually have very few issues. For what you are doing I would go with a midsized tractor like a cubota they are one of the best on the market.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I love my JD, one tough workhorse that's taken everything I've thrown at it. Every part I've ever needed has been available through the local dealership.

All that being said, I inherited it, and if I had to buy something else tomorrow I know that even used the JDs would command a hefty premium. I would likely be looking for a Kubota myself. They are good machines from what many people have told me, and the price is generally right.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I actually have been looking at a 2016 Kubota L3901. Seems like a solid machine. Just not crazy about the emissions crap so might pick up a used Kubota. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
When it comes to this stuff, buying new is jut like buying a new car. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. You can usually find used equipment with service history for considerably less than new. Around here the State uses a lot of Kubotas, but has to turn them over after they reach so many hours. They have a good bit of use on them, but they were professionally maintained and typically are in good shape because they don't let just anyone run them. The State holds auctions a couple times a year where they sell off stuff like this. Check your area I'll bet you find something similar.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it comes to this stuff, buying new is jut like buying a new car. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. You can usually find used equipment with service history for considerably less than new. Around here the State uses a lot of Kubotas, but has to turn them over after they reach so many hours. They have a good bit of use on them, but they were professionally maintained and typically are in good shape because they don't let just anyone run them. The State holds auctions a couple times a year where they sell off stuff like this. Check your area I'll bet you find something similar.
Thanks. I'm in the Northern VA area and hopefully VA does the same thing. I might have to road trip to MD or Delaware (maybe the eastern shore) to find a good deal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know this isn't the correct place for this but I trust your opinions and judgement so much that I wanted to reach out for advice and hope that the mods don't move this ;)

I need to buy a good farm tractor (never owned one) and was wondering if any of you have any tips or at least know of good tractor forums.
I was logged into my account when I linked you to this site so just ignore that, you should be able to get some ideas from this site. Remove my Zip and enter your own and you'll get the closet to you first.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/drilldown/manufacturers.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1111

As you'll probably see, I linked you to the 40HP and under, if you want to go bigger just follow the links and you should find many more than in the first list

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have a 2003 John Deere 4310 hydrostatic 4wd with a quick detatch loader and 4 in 1 bucket. It is about a 30 hp tractor built for Deere by Yanmar. It is non emissions and has been a great tractor. I have @ 900 hours on it now. If I were you I would also look at the John Deere models prior to emissions controls. Both Deere and Kubota added cabs to their small tractor line after I got mine. Mine had been a rental tractor at the local JD dealership before I bought it. So far I have only had to replace a fuel shutoff solenoid, a flywheel speed sensor, degas bottle, 2 rear axle seals and a front axle seal. You can get them with front mount snowblowers if you have the midmount PTO option. It can be added, but can be a little pricey.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the advice guys. I knew I came to the right place for info on tractors. People that drive diesel trucks and do their own mechanical work are often the same type folk that live on acreage and have tractors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts