The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like any advice to prepare for a 2000 mile trip back home after picking up my obs 7.3 with 130000 and 2 owners any advice would help thanks in advance
Par

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
Change the oil along with the fuel filter and go.

What is the history of it besides 2 owners?.

I wouldn't hesitate to take mine on a 2000 mile road trip and plan to in a few months

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no previous history was a trade in at a ford dealership oil was changed I am carrying a camshaft position sensor a fan belt and now a fuel filter Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
For the belt if it goes you are going to need a 15mm socket and a breaker bar to relieve the tension to get the new one on.

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
If you are flying to pick it up I wouldn't worry too much about tools if you don't know too much about these trucks. The best item to really have would be a volt/ohm meter and the knowledge on how to use it.

A credit card and a phone are your best items to have on a long trip like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been reading up on this site last month and learning from all of your member comments it has been a great help in learning and deciding what to get I really like the obs especially since I live in California and a 1997 diesel is exempt from the smog process I chose to get it as it had 130000 miles and it was with a ford dealership I have seen others with much higher mileage that scared me a bit I know nothing about these trucks just like them hope I make it back with no issues and get to enjoy it here thanks to all for the advice

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
Just as a fyi these engines are totally electronic as for what gets what to work. A normal scan tool will not work on them to read codes or diagnostics on it.

We used to have access to a article that a member wrote called "The F16 Under The Hood" and he wasn't too far off

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will have to Get and learn how to use an ohm meter
Welcome to the 7.3l world don't let the high mileage scare you away from a 7.3l if they are very well maintained and have the service history these engines are capable of a million miles or more. My friend had 1.2 million miles on the original engine before her truck got totaled. I just recently, had to put my spare engine in mine which had 998,792 mi. on it still running great but, I was getting exhaust gasses into the coolant system so, I just went ahead and pulled the motor. Good Luck! with your new to you truck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pick it up, sign the paperwork, kick the tires, check the fluids, give it a good twice over, fuel it up (make them top off the tanks since you came 2000 miles to get it), get in and go. You will know what you have within an hour down the road. Buck 30 on the clock it should be good motorwise if properly taken care of. If it is an automatic that would be the weakpoint if not already rebuilt. As far as tools and extras, yes for fuel filter (motorcraft), yes for belt, yes for OHM meter, and stop at the first autoparts store and pick up a gallon of Rotella 15w-40 check the oil at every engine stop, get some fuel additive for ULSD I prefer Power service Silver bottle in summer and white in winter, and if you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars more Pick up a good socket and wrench set that will live in the truck (one that has a lot of deep and shallow sockets Lowes has a good 150 piece China/Craftsman set 150-200 depending on if it is on sale).
Sounds like a fun trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you wow I read about this kind of stuff you actually are doing it planning on doing a few of the upgrades as mentioned slowly Picked up a cps today from the ford dealer all the advice sure has helped thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
On the CPS if you decided that you might need to replace it use a 6 pt 10mm socket, don't even think of trying a 12 pt one or you will be bad on here saying that the bolt head is now stripped and are wondering what to do. If it has never been changed that bolt that holds in it may be the fight of your life trying to break it loose.

In 170,000 miles all mine has done to try and leave me stranded was the fuel bowl heater thermister, where the wire passes from the outside to the inside of the filter housing and a belt tensioner that decided to come apart in the middle of nowhere. I put the belt back on and drove it for another 300 miles home, when I got home there wasn't a bearing left in it but it got me home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is a special place for 12 point sockets, it is very hot there.
Please let us know how the trip goes. What is your starting location (current truck location) and ending location(your hometown)?
Couple of other things, check the tire pressure in the spare, and also make sure that the bolt holding the spare in place is free (not rusted tight). Also that you have the jack, lug wrench, and jack handle under the hood. I know that sounds lame but trust me the spare bolt can be a bear, and no one wants to be the guy on the side of the road with no tools to change his own tire.

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
A small can of WD40 works wonders on a lot of things including that bolt.

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't pulled the spare down in 19 years. I just carry a plugging kit and a air compressor

Reactions: tbeck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1997 thanks for the list that is the first stop I will make to pick up after the ford dealer used car dept hands me the keys leaving Wednesday morning with my son picking it up that evening and heading back Heard about the trans hope it holds up I have no history of it ,had a fifth wheel in it before thanks to everyone for all the advice Got me ready I can’t thank all you guys enough

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Truck is in Winona Minnesota and coming home to canoga park California 90 W to 35 S to 40 W will keep you all posted thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'd buy a 5gal yellow Diesel fuel jug, and fill it at the same time you fill up the truck. Make sure you can take the fuel filter cap off in case you run it dry (gauge may not work) - you can prime the pump there for much-faster restarting. I'd also snag a bottle of each diesel additive (cetane, algaecide, etc.), and put them in the tanks before the first fillup. Check the dates on the tires (including the spare), and bring some type of air pump that will reach all 4. And I'd carry some of each fluid: brake, ATF (also to use in the PS system), coolant or distilled water, engine oil, diff oil, & refrigerant. I also like to have a tow strap, shackles, jumper cables, USB power adapters for the cigar lighter & power point...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
A small can of WD40 works wonders on a lot of things including that bolt.

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't pulled the spare down in 19 years. I just carry a plugging kit and a air compressor
I hounded my kids when they started to drive about spares and changing a flat. Made them do the drill after I "arranged" a flat for them at an inopportune time. In late June I had a flat along the road with my 2012 F150, and realized I'd never had the spare down or ANYTHING! I was sweating bullets until I got it squared away, knowing I'd NEVER hear the end of it if the Mrs had to come fetch me...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Remember that tires are NOT good just because they have tread. They expire in 8 years, regardless of mileage, even if they've never touched the road. The caption of this diagram explains how to read the tire date, and contains links that explain more about it:

(phone app link)

So a 19-year-old spare is NOT a spare - it's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts