The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back yesterday from my 10,200 km trip, from close to the southern U.S. border here in B.C. Canada (but northern U.S. border to most of you), up to Dawson City in the Yukon, over to Fairbanks, down through Anchorage and south to just about every small town of notoriety, it's been a long haul. Only a couple of issues, but thought I'd ask if someone might know the answer. I have the Mini Maxx (full delete) but twice had a CEL regarding 'low fuel pressure'? The only way I would know was that my cruise control won't work if a CEL (check engine light) is apparent, as the truck runs just fine. I just go into diagnostics on the Programmer, delete the CEL, and onward I go uninterrupted otherwise!
I've had this pop up on long trips in the past a couple of times since owning the truck, and I am assuming it may be a sensor in the fuel system? It only seems to happen one every 10k - 25k, but otherwise runs perfect. I did change out all filters prior to leaving on this recent adventure if that helps.
I'm over on my oil change now, so will get that done soon, as I am using a full synthetic these days, and keep an eye on my levels and programming religiously while on the road.
I had an Arctic Fox camper in the bed with all the gear needed for an extended holiday, as well as the back seat was loaded....but was getting about 400 km's per half tank which I thought was good. We did keep track of the fuel bought, so I'll know here soon that amount of fuel bought over that period and will try and figure out my mileage, but I was happy with driving for long periods without having to refuel! Another couple travelling with us with their motorhome and a V10 sure used a lot more fuel than us, plus I 'loved' the power on the hills as the truck would glide up them so easily at basically any grade.
Only other hic cup was my OEM radio/Navigation (just once) wouldn't allow any input, or allow me to turn up the volume, unless I used the steering wheel buttons. When I stopped and turned the truck off for a while, then restarted...all was working perfectly again!
No chipped windshields, broken headlights or flat tires on the trip, so overall I was quite happy with the truck and it's 6.4 Diesel for sure!
Would appreciate any advice/comments on the low fuel issue though...as it's a bit of a hinderance, but as I say, the truck ran fine otherwise.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Sounds like a really enjoyable trip. Hopefully you caught some of our great weather in Fairbanks.

How were the roads from the US/Canada border to just past Destruction Bay?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a really enjoyable trip. Hopefully you caught some of our great weather in Fairbanks.

How were the roads from the US/Canada border to just past Destruction Bay?

Thanks
Only areas of the whole trip that where troublesome where near Haines Junction (32 mile stretch unpaved) and the 'Top of the World' road from Dawson City...to Chicken and beyond.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
PS2000--
Exact same symptoms with my '09 450 deleted w/Mini--cause was the LPFP. Changing it out solved the problem. CC would quit, stop and check codes (low fuel system pressure), reset with tuner, and continue on.
We had such similar trucks, and similarly deleted/tuned, wanted to pass on that at 207781 miles I lost the #8 cylinder compression. Don't know what happened as I sold the truck and bought an identical '10, but I suspect the rocker arm(s) on that cylinder broke and a valve hit the piston. Just thought I'd mention that so you would think about having the rocker arms checked in the near future--if your mileage is piling up. It will be very expensive if this happens to you, so hope it does not.
Joe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Awesome, 2000!!!! That trip is on my bucket list to be sure!!!!

re: low fuel pressure warning-

it cold very well be your HFCM not providing enough fuel for your HPFP to drink, and therefor create a true low pressure situation, but.... unless you were in a situation where the HFCM couldn't keep up, i.e. a high load/demand situation, I doubt it would be that. The ICP (fuel rail pressure sensor, or FRP) is located on the passenger rail, under the valve covers on the bitter end (nearer the front of the engine)... It is the SOLE place these things can know actual ICP/FRP.. why FoMoCo didn't make a redundant sensor on the opposite rail is beyond me, and a point of contention I have with these things.

so.... those sensors are weak.. I replaced one myself around 45k miles, and experienced similar effects you did until it was replaced. It is a $90 part and it takes about 1.5hrs to fix yourself in the driveway... the only 'special' tool you'll need is a 1-1/8" o2 sensor socket, which has the cutaway that allows the harness to fit through the side of it... a 1-1/8" wrench will work too, but you'll likely have to either use a stubby wrench or cut one down.

The sensor itself uses a crush washer for seal, and it's a one shot deal... so, when you go to install it, use fingers only to make sure the threads are right, and twist it in by hand until you can't any more... tighten it to torque specs, and reverse your dis-assembly.

While you're under there, check closely the wiring harnesses... that is a less than hospitable place for wiring, and the issue you're facing is most likely a harness rubbing/shorting, and that takes the sensor with it... all it takes is a split second of shorting to toss the PCM... that sensor is NOT a 'check it on the built in test (bit) that takes place in the first half second of key-on and then rely on it for accurate information only when polled" sensor... it is a constant variable sensor that the PCM is listening for in order to determine pulse width (duty cycle of the injector) and timing... when it blinks, the engine will run, but it operates off of a strict table driven strategy that puts only a little power to the input shaft at a time. Again, there is only one of those sensors in that very important place for that crucial function, and they didn't use a redundant, nor make it easy to get to...

·
Registered
352 Posts
if your going through the hassle of replacing the frp sensor,might as well replaced the uvc (under valve cover) harness also. we've seen the pins spread on the connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts