The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody told me I should put in a K&N air filter. I've got one in my 01 Bullitt so I thought , what the heck. $55.00. Now I started bringing my truck to a guy who is a Ford diesel mechanic and has a really built 7.3 and he says get rid of the K&N. He says something about the air flow and the turbo and he feels its no good for my motor. So, Should I get rid of it? He seems to be right a lot of other stuff.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
From what I've read there is so much suction from the turbo that the oil inevitably comes off and you start sucking in the oil mixed with dirt. I personally would never use an oil soaked air filter on a turbo charged engine. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since I don't know what K&N you have, the real problem was with the replacement filters. They didn't always fit well in the stock Ford box apparently dusting some engines. Lots of guys are using AFE intakes with no oil problems.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The biggest problem is the filter doesn't fit the Ford stock airbox very well. Not many filters do fit that airbox very well, either. That is why you see so many on this board with aftermarket intake systems.
I guess the K&N complete intake system is ok. Expensive, but ok. Ford AIS is the severe duty intake setup. Its also pricey. There are many others that are good too. DIY Tymar seems to be the most cost effective method. I am sure someone will jump on here and give you the NAPA number and description on how to DIY the Tymar setup.

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
I'll second (or was it 4th) the recommendation against the K&N drop-in filter. I found a slight bit of grit in my intake tube (I believe not enough to cause a problem, because it was trapped in the oil film from the CCV) once when I had a K&N drop-in. After that, I goobered some silicone grease around the gasket to help seal it up in the housing till I could get it replaced with my current Ford AIS intake.

·
Premium Member
15,048 Posts
On a humerous note, if you keep the K&N, you'll earn your screen name as "powdercoater" in ways you had no intention. :blowingup:

Reactions: jleedog and Calico5

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I would not use a K&N after looking at damaged engines over the years. Way too much dirt gets in there.

I'm using the new Amsoil aE Air Filters.

They suck air like a K&N with the filtration needed to protect the engine.

I really like them a lot. I pulled them to inspect the back-side and they are clean as can be.

It is a blue fiber material, they are a dry filter

, non-oiled, flow more air than a paper type.

Anyone else using them>?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
K&N OLD school tech and even off roaders bikes, quads stoped using them Years ago as they passed to much dirt..JUNK. best you can get a Tymar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well....
After reading all of this, I decided to go back to my stock filter. Good bye K&N......

Thanks for saving me a headache guys......
I think this forum is the best there is....

·
Registered
243 Posts
My truck had a K+N cone filter on it when i bought it,
and i knew nothing about diesels,
after reading here,
I yanked it out and did a 6637 DIY filter set up,
and glad i did

later ill do a AIS severe filter, before i get back to the dusty Apache trail, AZ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1996 7.3 and I removed the stock and installed a K&N. I thought at the time I was doing the right thing. I installed a Tony Wildman chip and every time I stepped down hard on the throttle the check engine light would light up. Turning off the ignition would reset the light.

At this point I had the K&N filter in for 8-10 years. I had oil dripping from the bottom of the turbo input housing. Few drips after 50-100 miles. At this point I pulled the input tube and it appeared to be coming from the CCV tube in the air input housing. I did suspect the K&N filter was the problem (added boost with the chip activated). I contacted K&N and they sent me a new filter. The new filter didn't help. It seemed to stop if I turned the chip to the stock position. At that point I ran the CCV under the truck and it doesn't drip oil from the bottom of the turbo housing any longer. It's not optimal but it works.

At this point I know all my issues were caused by the K&N filter. After looking around I found a Tymar Performance Cold Air Intake. However at $170 that sounded a little high. As a replacement for the Tymar I used my existing K&N tube (no modifications), I purchased a Donaldson Blue 6637 Filter from Riffraff Diesel for $40, I purchased a Donaldson bracket from my local Donaldson truck filter shop for $20, and I saved a $100.

I now need to connect my CCV back up to the intake and see if that cured the oil in the intake.

Bottom line: Don't use a K&N filter...

Additional help needed: If anyone knows why oil would be dripping from the bottom of the aluminum turbo intake housing I would be grateful. I don't think it should be dripping from there, or maybe it is supposed to? Is there a seal between the intake housing and the main body of the turbo that should be preventing oil from leaking? Oil is not leaking now but maybe there is a seal that has failed?

Below is a picture of what it looks like now after switching to the Tymar like air intake system...

w w w.dropbox.com/s/zdw1t6qj909cqsv/20181221_125458.jpg?dl=0

Thanks...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I went with a Ford (Donaldson) AIS system. It fits nice and have not had any issues with it.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
With the CCV attached you should be getting oil from the vent into the intake tube. It is common for this to seep out of the intake pre and post intercooler. Once the CCV is hooked up again give the turbo intake housing a good cleaning and check daily with a flashlight to see if it is running from the intake tube. How full do you keep you oil. Running a quart low will help with blow-by
DENNY

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the CCV attached you should be getting oil from the vent into the intake tube. It is common for this to seep out of the intake pre and post intercooler. Once the CCV is hooked up again give the turbo intake housing a good cleaning and check daily with a flashlight to see if it is running from the intake tube. How full do you keep you oil. Running a quart low will help with blow-by
DENNY
It is strange to be getting a drip between the compressor housing and the turbo housing. I can put my finger on the very bottom after a few miles and get oil on my finger. It's bolted on with several bolts and I thought there was a large o-ring that sealed it? Seems it would suck air with any break in the seal?

My 7.3 does not have excessive blowby.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
K&n filters do not cause issues like you describe.

The ccv vents after the filter.

If you don’t clean the inlet boot and the intercooler boots they get oil soaked.

Now that the ccv is vented to the atmosphere you won’t have the issue anymore.

Also, the reason k&n filters get a bad name is because the obs trucks have 3 different drop in options. So you rarely get the correct filter.
Top that off with the factory filter hiysingng cracking and not sealing.

The conical cotton gauze filters(afe, k&n, S&B) are fine as long as they are properly maintained.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Intake oil leaks due to the ccv is a very old and common problem. It should draw air in if you have a bad o-ring but once the motor stops the oil pools in the intake and drains.
DENNY

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have used the Ford Severe Duty AIS system for many years with great success. Outstanding filtration. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I seem to remember from many years past, Ford asked Donaldson to develop a system for them for the 7.3 Superduty that could be used in a harsh, sandy environment, such as oil fields abroad or military.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
K&N is bad (lets in too much dirt). Tymar, Donaldson, 6637, AIS are good (filter out the dirt, let the air in).

·
Registered
130 Posts
K&N = NO!

Intake oil leaks due to the ccv is a very old and common problem. It should draw air in if you have a bad o-ring but once the motor stops the oil pools in the intake and drains.
DENNY
I assume the leak in question is around the compressor housing?

Actually, the compressor housing is under pressure when the turbo is spinning. The o-ring area sees pressure pretty much all the time (obviously more when boost is high). The only low pressure (i.e. vacuum) area is at the compressor inlet.

Could be a leaking oil seal on the comp side.

Reactions: Oneof6
1 - 20 of 42 Posts