The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a quick search and couldnt find anything about the K&N FIPK or whatever it is called kit for the 6.0 Brad is wanting to put one on the truck listed in the sig. Opinions Thoughts. I can get one for 208

Travis

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
When I asked my Service Advisor about putting on my Exhaust last year, He told me it was fine, but "Do not put a K&N Filter on it." I did not ask about a filter, he told me that unsolicited. I've heard problems about them. Be Careful!

Barrett

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a K&N FIPK system,just make sure you get the correct one.I waited until they brought out the right system.
The part number is 57-2546

G

·
0 Posts
I hear they do not filter very well...they flow like crazy but some of the flow is dirt

AGAIN, Just what I have heard...take it with a grain of salt..

·
Registered
101 Posts
They say its the diffrance between a 200,000 mile moter and a 300,000 mile moter.I have a airaid with a prefilter,you see no light through it.i also have a K&n for my f-350 with 7.5...you see lots of light.but the airriad you see none.the kn does not filter that fine of particals,becarefull unless you dont like you waranty

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just did a quick search and couldnt find anything about the K&N FIPK or whatever it is called kit for the 6.0 Brad is wanting to put one on the truck listed in the sig. Opinions Thoughts. I can get one for 208

Travis

[/ QUOTE ]

Avoid K&N. Lots of folks on here have the aFe Magnaflow system or the AirRaid system. I personally went with the aFe w/ Pro-7 media.

Mark Craig from DPPI or Dennis from ITP Diesel can give you a good explanation why aFe is superior to K&N.

-Bill

·
Registered
858 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with a K&N FIPK system,just make sure you get the correct one.I waited until they brought out the right system.
The part number is 57-2546

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust a guy named CrazyAL??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really, this test applies quite well and K&N does about the worst at everything but airflow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't believe a company like K&N are going to allow their reputation to be harmed by releasing a product that does not work.This system is brand new and is designed for the 6.0.So maybe we can see if anybody out their has done some independent tests?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe a company like K&N are going to allow their reputation to be harmed by releasing a product that does not work.This system is brand new and is designed for the 6.0.So maybe we can see if anybody out their has done some independent tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, K&N's reputation is "More Air-Flow" not "Better Filtration and a Ton of Air"

So, the test that was done concludes that K&N does indeed rule the airflow market, but as far as filtration, they leave a lot to be desired.

-Bill

·
Registered
858 Posts
I absolutly agree. It would be nice to have some tests done by someone on the 6.0 prods.

However, as the other poster pointed out, and as is pointed out pretty well in the Drmx testing, K&N is about airflow and I am not sure how much more is needed. Too many say none. It also points out that they let through the most or nearly the most particulates compared to others. The best are magnitudes better from what I see.

But dont take this as trying to insult your appreciation for K&N. My only point was to provide something objective and this is the best I have seen. And as it is ISO testing I think it speaks very well to us diesel owners. Seems that all I hear is keep it clean. The oil, gas, and air.

Peace Buddy!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was told the EXACT same thing by my mechanic at Ford the other day. I was asking him if I could get away with and Edge module and still have a warranty. He told me that if I had a complete engine failure, I may not have a warrantee. Ford was really cracking down on them and asking a lot of questions. Next he said "whatever you do, don't put a K&N filter on. We have seen several failures recently and they were using a K&N filter. In every case, the turbo's were covered with grit. We have been told not to provide any warranty work on engines, turbo's etc. that have K&N filters on them". I hadn't even asked about a filter

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Grit on the turbo could also be dirty oil slapping it from the Closed Crankcase vent!
But I agree, K&N sucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually the tech told me that there was a noticable difference between the usual oil etc and the grit that he found on the trucks with the K&N's. The closed crankcase system does put a lot of crap back through!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts