The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings old blood wisemen of the 7.3 IDI NA. I have an F-250 1986 with a 7.3 IDI NA. I’m trying to get this engine to crank up since the previous owner installed the engine but never succeeded to crank it up and start so I’m finding myself putting a wire puzzle together. One of the many loose wires I’d have come across is this Kay’s engine heater on the right side of the engine block that I have no idea where it goes attached to. I have tried to find any info about it but not even this type of engine heater as shown in the pic I can find. Any ideas where do I need to connect it to? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks like the previous owner replaced the factory block heater. The cord coming off it should have a typical household 120v plug on it. It doesn't get wired into the truck's electrical system.

It's meant to be plugged into an electrical outlet on really cold days to warm up the engine and make starting easier. Depending on how cold it is, usually plug it in around 2 hours before you want to start it.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
7.3L IDIT with a Banks Sidewinder
ZF 5-spd manual transmission

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It's "kat's," not "Kay's." That's why you can't find anything.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Max2025

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the previous owner replaced the factory block heater. The cord coming off it should have a typical household 120v plug on it. It doesn't get wired into the truck's electrical system.

It's meant to be plugged into an electrical outlet on really cold days to warm up the engine and make starting easier. Depending on how cold it is, usually plug it in around 2 hours before you want to start it.

Thank you boss, you’re the man!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Amazon.com: Kat's 11607 600 Watt 41mm Frost Plug Heater: Automotive

Link to a picture of how the 120v plug on the end of the cord should look. If it doesn't have the plug on the end of the cord, then you will have to install a new plug. Plug it into a 120v electrical outlet for a couple of hours to assist with cold morning starts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you boss, you’re the man!
You're welcome, glad I could help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are not as good as the factory ones which are 1000 watt heaters. they work just takes long to heat engine up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts