The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having to remove and brake clean the regulator to stay running.

Back story:I neglected to change the fuel filter for a while. The fuel pump had started leaking and was replaced with a motor craft unit. That got pressure back up to 50ish psi. Replaced the neglected filter a few weeks later. Time goes on and truck stumbles to a stop on the highway. No fuel pressure. Replaced the regulator and spring with motor craft parts. Fuel pressure now at a steady 58 and great performance.
Fast forward a couple weeks and the truck stumbles and dies again. Pulled over and pulled the regulator on the side of the road. Truck started right up and ran great for two miles, then died again.
Is the settlement from the bottom of the bowl(which I have not cleaned) after the filter and exposed to the regulator? How can I prevent this from happening?

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
The regulator is on the high pressure side of the fuel pump. That fuel goes through the injectors and then back to the regulator so there should be no dirt or whatever that is in the bottom of the filter housing getting into it.

It is most likely pieces of injector O rings that is causing it.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
What year is this truck?

Early (94/95) had a small plastic bowl with a sock-type screen on the regulator. The small bowl can be removed and the sock cleaned. I had to use channellock pliers on my 94's to get it off. It had all kinds of junk in it.

The later ones (96/97) had a "brillo-pad" mesh screen under the plate on the bottom of the regulator body where the fuel line comes up into the bottom. The plate is held in by a circlip and sealed by an o-ring which can be a total PITA to get back in so the circlip engages. I haven't really seen that many problems reported in forums with this screen.

I would clean out the bottom of the filter bowl and see what happens. The fuel heater plate can be removed by unscrewing the black plastic standpipe using a 7/8" crows-foot wrench (LEFTHAND THREADED!!!) and unplugging the small spade connector inside the bowl on the driver's side. All those years have the small screen between the regulator body and fuel filter bowl. Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is a 1996. Thanks for the responses. That actually makes sense. The first regulator problem might not be related. I neglected to mention after replacing the regulator pieces, I had a fuel leak caused by a cracked street elbow drivers side where high pressure goes into the head. I did my best to prevent stuff falling in but some probably did.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
At what age does that happen, and are there any other symptoms? Based on the brakes & coolant, I have to assume my truck's injectors have never been out for any service or repair.

I just read this:
Take a look at your fuel filter and see if it is black. If it is you need new injector O rings
I've never seen that in the filter housing. Does it circulate back to the tanks? They're both nearly clear, too. The front (being deeper & black plastic) isn't clear enough to see all the dirt & shower head chunks that are in the rear tank. But there's no blackness in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
bugman said:
At what age does that happen, and are there any other symptoms? Based on the brakes & coolant, I have to assume my truck's injectors have never been out for any service or repair.

I just read this:
bugman said:
Take a look at your fuel filter and see if it is black. If it is you need new injector O rings
I've never seen that in the filter housing. Does it circulate back to the tanks? They're both nearly clear, too. The front (being deeper & black plastic) isn't clear enough to see all the dirt & shower head chunks that are in the rear tank. But there's no blackness in the fuel.

View attachment 159000

I have no idea as far as age or a time frame for the injector O rings to start to have problems where they will start to deteriorate where particles are caught in the FPR, perhaps someone else might know.

The oil will circulate back to the tanks and then back to the filter. That is where the filter will turn black since the fuel that is returning from the injectors is not filtered. It will start to happen when the oil O ring is bad enough that the high pressure oil can get into the fuel rail, since the oil is under a lot more pressure than the fuel is.

Reactions: Steve83

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thanks. I guess it's not something that can be predicted or prevented - just watched for.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I don't know if it was just the earlier trucks that did it. As I mentioned in my previous post, I've never really heard of the later trucks with the mesh screen at the bottom of the regulator body having many issues. My 97's mesh screen had really nothing on it when I inspected it as I resealed the bowl. My 94 had a lot of junk in the little aux bowl! The sock type screen had way more surface area than the mesh which would have been totally clogged with the same junk. Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everybody for the replies, especially bugman for the diagram. I cleaned the regulator again and I have pressure again. In fact, it’s a little high with the oreilly’s fuel gauge. I will clean again but am happy with the seat of pants feel of the truck.
I will investigate a 3 gauge pod underneath the dash to keep a better eye on things

1 - 9 of 9 Posts