The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on here guys, so don't chew me up to bad. Been reading this forum for quite some time you guys are great, just thought it was time to get involved myself. Anyway I have a 2001 F-350 7.3 Auto has 179k miles, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and a AFE stage 2 intake. Truck has been really good to me, only things I've replaced since buying the truck in 2012 have been the steel transmission and fuel lines (truck came from up in New England, a lot of salt.) an O-ring behind the fuel bowl. I've started a cattle business recently, and I'm at a crossroads. I maintenance my 7.3 religiously, mechanically it's very sound. But I don't know to upgrade to the 6.7 and keep the 7.3. I need to install a 5th wheel to haul a cattle trailer (10,000 lbs.) my concerns are: the durability of the automatic transmission, since I'm closing in on 200k what maintenance things am I going to start seeing happen in the future? Like, longevity of the stock turbo? injectors? etc. I don't abuse the truck at all, and to this point it's only hauled large amounts of lumber, contracting materials. IF I keep the 7.3 I was going to go with TW chip, gauges, and of course the 5th wheel package. Would you guys recommend any other upgrades? I just don't know how the stock automatic tranny is going to hold up with 10,000 lbs, chipped, and running up and down mountains in Pennsylvania. Or should I just save the $, sell the truck and upgrade to a 6.7? I love this truck, I'd hate to sell it especially with how long the 7.3 motors last, but if it would cost me $5,000+ in upgrades to get it ready for the job I think I'd rather just go with the 6.7. Opinions, thoughts? Thanks guys

* If it matters the transmission was replaced under warranty (according to the original owner, I'm the 2nd.) right before 100k. So it has 79,xxx on it.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 6.7 until the valve issue gets resolved.

I would add a trans cooler to your list of upgrades. If you maintain the trans it will a good while longer.

Reactions: hansel

·
Registered
947 Posts
A new valve body (John Wood or BTS), a larger 26 or 32 row transmission cooler (designed for a 6.0) and possibly a torque convertor would all help out the transmission. With that many miles on the transmission I wouldn't expect it to hold on too much longer especially of you're going to add a performance chip.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It will cost less to upgrade the 7.3L than buying a 6.7L and keeping you finger's crossed you don't have a valve sticking issue during regen. A good transmission rebuild around 3-4K, then add a 6.0L cooler that will help keep the tranny temps down, add some gauges and some tuning say like PHP's and their Hydra chip. Now in no way will a 7.3 pull like a new 6.7 but I've read story after story about guys spending 50K+ on trucks that spend more time in the shop than on the road, and Ford is down playing the issue, and if they (Ford) doesn't fix it soon, then they have the 6.0L disaster starting over again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I didn't realize the 6.7's were having these many problems. Well I guess I'll be sticking to the 7.3 until total failure.

I was looking at ATS transmissions any other companies out there that you guys recommend for built transmissions?

3 years ago everyone was talking Tony Wildman when it came to chipping a 7.3, is he still the best? I've been seeing a lot of other talk and brands when it comes to chipping 7.3's. Recommendations? I'm not looking to race and "roll coal" just a safe bump in HP/TQ that'll help with towing. I'm WAY more concerned about longevity than performance.

For everyone that threw in their 2 cents, I appreciate it. Keep it coming!

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I went with DP-Tuner F6 , adjustable on the fly, there are lots of others out there.
DP has good tow tunes to suit your needs , i wouldn't change it for another.
Give Jody a call or email them, the service is outstanding.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I have the hydra and love it.
Right now i run PHP tune and love it but i never tried anything else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
For transmissions there are really 3 people to buy from, and ATS is none of them(ATS=AnotherTransmissionSoon). Buy a trans at BTS(long wait times), Or John Woods(out in california) or a Sam Wyse transmission(Sold by cncfabrication, call them on the phone)

For chips there are only 2 chips I would consider, the PHP Hydra or the DP F6. I know that both Tony Wildman and [email protected] write tunes for the hydra, in addition to [email protected], I do not know who other than DP writes tunes for the F6. I went with the hydra with [email protected]'s tunes and have been completely satisfied, and I tow much heavier than most(11,900lb toy hauler, GCWR with the truck 20,000lb).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts