The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i thought i had a weak battery in the key Fob but turns out thats not the prolbem. Fresh battery and i have to stand next to the truck to lock /unlock the door and then sometimes that won't work. Any ideas on whats wrong?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had this problem before and had the dealer get me a new key FOB. Lo and behold the same thing happened to me. I had to stand right next to the truck to make it work properly. Just about the time I was to call the dealer again the thing mysteriously started working. I think the battery inside the FOB gets hot at times ands tends not be as powerful. Also the battery you may have purchased may have had a long shelf life and is on the verge of going bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
244 Posts
the Ford key FOBS seem to have a mind of their own. Mine will work fine, then the next time nothing, I have to use the key to get in. I've replaced the batteries been to the dealer, asked other people and we all come up with this same look....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Now on the other hand, or the dark side, my wifes GMC Yukon (the tahoes cousin), her FOBs work flawlessly and we've only replaced the batteries once.

So once again........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i have 3 fob's for my truck and they all are doing the same thing even with fresh batteries. i even took the battery out of the fob for my wifes TransAm and nothing, but i put the battery from my truck in her fob and it works ,so i know it isn't the batteries.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where would the receiver be located?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Isn't it in the GEM???

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad it's not just me, my 03 has the worst key fob of any vehicle I ever owned, some times the horn beeps on lock sometimes on unlock most times not at all, and more often than not nothing works, or it wont unlock until you hit lock first, then it will unlock.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
It is the GEM that handles the signal. Mine quit working too. I finally just installed a remote start with remote keyless. It can be done for about $50 off ebay. The range for my transmitter is now about a 1000 feet.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It is the GEM that handles the signal. Mine quit working too. I finally just installed a remote start with remote keyless. It can be done for about $50 off ebay. The range for my transmitter is now about a 1000 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use a cell phone, that distance is greatly increased. JK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ummmmmm.......you may have tried this, but does the unlock switch behave the same? Could be your actuators that are shot. VERY common problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand of remote start did you use?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I used Crimestopper and think they are great. I originally installed just a remote start/keyless/turbo timer (RS-900 VII). I liked it so much that two weeks later I upgraded to remote start/alarm/keyless/turbo timer (CS2016DPFM). The link in my sig will take you to some photos of wire locations and schematics I drew for the projects. I think your 2003 has different wiring than my 2000 though.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I bought the Crimestopper units from this guy on ebay based on the recommendation of another TDS member.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Cool stuff, nice website, looks like a good unit, I had a remote start on my F150 and dont think I can live without one on the F250.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I agree on the remote start. I am looking forward to it this winter. My favorite feature is the turbo timer. I never realized how much time I used to waste waiting for my egt's to drop before shutting the truck down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue with my F250 super duty. Screwed around with many things including trying to reprogram the fob. Pulled fuse #19 10AMP fuse. The body security module/4x4 module Wasn't burned out but had a white film on the fuse. Wiped it off, pushed it back in and Bingo "door ajar" light off and remote locks working as they should!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue with my F250 super duty. Screwed around with many things including trying to reprogram the fob. Pulled fuse #19 10AMP fuse. The body security module/4x4 module Wasn't burned out but had a white film on the fuse. Wiped it off, pushed it back in and Bingo "door ajar" light off and remote locks working as they should!
Where is this located? I'm having the same issues.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you open up the black key fob, as you would for changing the battery, and then take out the circuit board from the red rubber shield, you'll see a square piece of thin plastic with 5 bubbles. On the back side of those bubbles is conductive paint which will wear off with use. When you press down on the button, the plastic bubbles press against the circuit board and completes a circuit. You could either get some conductive paint and repaint the plastic or glue a little round piece of aluminum foil in place of the paint. Another thing I found out by accident is that used-car dealers have buckets of these key fobs and I was lucky enough to come across a guy who just gave a bunch, batteries and all. So now, I just take apart a spare and substitute the thin clear plastic square part into my key fob and I'm set for another x number of years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts