The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 7.3psd CC LB 4x4 with 253,000 miles, looking to install an ignition kill switch. Can I just cut the starter wire before or after the little snap connection under the hood and splice into it? I’m not sure if it’s a single wire or actually a bundle, or if it controls other components that may be damaged by a kill switch. Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
There are not too many theft scenarios where a thief is going to hang around an open the hood to try starting the truck So, as you suggested, interrupting the starter solenoid control circuit would be very easy to do. As you already identified that wire is the small gauge wire at the starter relay... if you provide the model year, engine and transmission type I/we could verify the wire color/tracer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are not too many theft scenarios where a thief is going to hang around an open the hood to try starting the truck So, as you suggested, interrupting the starter solenoid control circuit would be very easy to do. As you already identified that wire is the small gauge wire at the starter relay... if you provide the model year, engine and transmission type I/we could verify the wire color/tracer.
Awesome I’m glad to hear I’m on the right track, it’s a 2002 with the automatic 4R100.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've done exactly what you are contemplating on my 2005 KR. I interrupted that start trigger wire with a NO relay and hid the switch to close the relay. Its a simple system and it works.

I had a high end security system on my 2006 but it had to be enabled in order to work. My wife failed to do that and got it stolen in broad daylight at noon in front of a busy restaurant. The beauty of the starter interrupt is that nobody has to do anything to activate it. Do a really neat job and make it look like its all factory original. Unless a Ford tech wants to steal your truck its unlikely anyone else will figure it out fast enough to defeat your system.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I have worked on police vehicles that used a foot pressure switch hidden under the carpet near the firewall that interrupted the shifter interlock - a similar switch could be used to interrupt the starter relay circuit. You would have to know where on the floor to press to allow the circuit to function. This would not be good with manual transmission equipped trucks however. You would need three feet to start the truck.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have worked on police vehicles that used a foot pressure switch hidden under the carpet near the firewall that interrupted the shifter interlock - a similar switch could be used to interrupt the starter relay circuit. You would have to know where on the floor to press to allow the circuit to function. This would not be good with manual transmission equipped trucks however. You would need three feet to start the truck.
Had an old jeep that had the foot operated starter switch and without a working parking brake...I needed 4 feet to start it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Had an old jeep that had the foot operated starter switch and without a working parking brake...I needed 4 feet to start it.
Having started more than one vehicle with a foot operated starter switch I know how to run the starter and footfeed with my right foot leaving the left free for the clutch. If you need the brake you're on a hill which means you don't need the starter. Just sayin'.

·
Administrator
27,347 Posts
This would not be good with manual transmission equipped trucks however. You would need three feet to start the truck.
I thought all manual tranny drivers had three feet. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Having started more than one vehicle with a foot operated starter switch I know how to run the starter and footfeed with my right foot leaving the left free for the clutch. If you need the brake you're on a hill which means you don't need the starter. Just sayin'.
Depends on the hill. I had to feather the throttle, hold the brake and the clutch, and push the starter button. As finicky as that old Jeep was, push starting did not always work.

·
Premium Member
10,048 Posts
Depends on the hill. I had to feather the throttle, hold the brake and the clutch, and push the starter button. As finicky as that old Jeep was, push starting did not always work.
The nice thing on those old vehicles is that there was no clutch safety switch that you had to deal with. Lots of times I would just kick the transmission into neutral with my left foot on the brake and the use the right foot to start. But then it was a little bit of a juggling act to move the left foot onto the clutch and the right foot onto the brake and sometimes on the throttle also.

Reactions: Greg687

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed the switch yesterday, got all the equipment from auto zone and Napa. Needed a switch, 10 ga wire, some wire protector tube, female spade connectors and 12-10 ga butt splicers. Whole job took 3 hours because I took my time but it could have been done in 1. Spliced into the starter wire and works perfectly so far. Thank you for all your help everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts