The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2003 7.3 that I've been working on and can't seem to find the source of a knocking noise (sounds like a bent push rod or something) that occurs after the engine temp comes up. I have had the engine out several times in attempt to find the noise but to no avail. All the bearings look new and clearance is within spec listed in the factory service manual. It runs fine, starts fine and has good power. No blow by. Coolant looks fine,( no oil). The last time I had it out I found several(3) bent push rods on the driver side so I put a whole new set in. But really couldn't find a reason the rods would have bent. Could my injectors produce such a knocking noise? Did the push rods bend b/c valve spring binding? Just not sure. Nothing obvious when running with the valve covers off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I don't have access to AI at this time to run a buzz test on the injectors.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The number 8 injector can knock fairly loud when it has over 200k miles.

You could run it with the valve covers removed and unplug one injector at a time and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I failed to mention I replaced all the injectors the first time I pulled the motor so they only have a few thousand miles on them.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Who did you get the injectors from?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts