The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At initial cranking I have no ICP or indication of oil pressure on the in-dash oil pressure gauge. After cranking for about 15 seconds oil pressure gauge registers pressure and ICP climbs from 0 to 580, and engine starts. In-dash oil pressure gauge drops to 0 at idle. Slightly increasing RPM will register pressure on the oil pressure gauge. Truck runs fine once cranked.

This is the late 2004, so I’m assuming it’s not the steel ball dropping from the HPOP. I pulled the plunger from the low pressure oil pump and found no debris. I verified low pressure pump is filling oil filter housing when cranking.

If the oil pressure sensor is bad, will that cause the low ICP reading and long start? I wouldn’t think so. I had assumed I have a leaking dummy plug, but that wouldn’t explain the pressure gauge dropping to 0 at idle. I have not tried cranking when hot, which I suppose could help ID a high pressure oil leak.

What do you guys think my problem is?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, IPR is not reading at 15 or 85. I have not checked the IPR screen. No one Has been in the engine since I replaced oil cooler and dummy plugs 42,000 miles ago. Engine has 171,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The original late 04 HPOPs still had the ball bearing.

Checking the IPR screen is always a good idea before tearing into anything else, IMO anyway.

You aren't by any chance using a tall oil filter cap are you? The OEM cap sits only 1" above the housing. Aftermarket caps can be twice that high.

edit -

Note the ball bearing in the pic of this 03-04 HPOP:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original late 04 HPOPs still had the ball bearing.

Checking the IPR screen is always a good idea before tearing into anything else, IMO anyway.

You aren't by any chance using a tall oil filter cap are you? The OEM cap sits only 1" above the housing. Aftermarket caps can be twice that high.
I am using the original OEM oil filter cap. Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts