The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F150 FX4 as a farm/hunting truck. I think there is a pic some where on my profile.
The truck has 260k miles on it before I got it. Since I got it I removed a goose necked hitch, replace the axle and removed the dry rotted air bags. I got this truck for ridiculously cheap and it is perfect for what I use it for. I have had it 2 years now and it has been reliable.

It has shake in the front end between 55 and 65 - death wobble and I plan to rebuild the front end here in the spring Parts kit is about $150. I already have the shocks for all 4 corners.

What Im struggling with is paying $180+ each for new rear leaf springs. Does anyone have any ideas on where to source them cheaper? I have considered putting in an add-a-leaf to stiffen the old ones up.

I know I sound cheap but $360 is just more than I really wanna spend on leaf springs. I would consider paying a bit more for a lift kit if it came with the leafs and front suspension pieces that I would be replacing anyways - I know this is a long shot. preferably no more than 4 inches as I still have to work out of it. The lift would come in handy as extra margin when the river floods, like right now have been driving this truck through 3.5' of water a 1/4 mile twice a day for the past 3 weeks (one reason I bought it).

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I can understand why you don’t want to spend alot of money on new leaf springs.

Adding a leaf sounds like your least expensive option to me. Maybe find some scrapyard parts?

Driving in water every day like that is going to destroy other components and you will need to save money for those expenses.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no doubt @ArcticDriver ! Waiting for the water to go down so I can give the truck some love. Gonna replace all the fluids and clean/dielectric grease the electrical connectors. Front brakes are making noises now too thus they will need some attention.

Living on the river this happens every 5 years or so and this truck and my 7.3 are the only thing high enough to get through it. I have not had to drive my 7.3 through it yet and wont if I can help it. I left my Escape on the top of the driveway for the wife to drive and we just have to time it to get home at the same time so that she can ride in with me. Water started dropping good today, I am hoping everything will be back to normal tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Good idea to have a second junk vehicle to operate in flood conditions and save your 7.3. Your priorities are in the right place 😉

·
Super Moderator
25,075 Posts
A few years back I replaced the rear springs on my truck when I found a broken leaf.
I went to the local wrecking yard and they wanted $150 for a pair matching year springs. They also had later model springs for $75 a pair which they swore wouldn't fit. I knew better and went for the cheaper/newer pair. They're still in place and working fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts