The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My early F350 is missing several leaf springs, and it's time to replace. I will be hauling fire wood and maybe installing a snow plow. Are the X springs the way to go?

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
What do you mean - missing? Like parked in a bad neighborhood missing? Are you saying your leaf springs are breaking away and you've been driving it that way? I'd love to see some pictures. X springs up front are supposed to be great for handling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
These are original springs. I was hauling a load of wood and heard a snap when I hit a bump. once I made it home I noticed a broken leaf slid out from the other springs on the right rear. on closer inspection I found 2 broke on the driver side with half leafs missing. That's a little scary!

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
There are no X springs for the rear

Here's the available codes, but I don't have the weight ratings.
Rear Springs — F-Series
B — YC35-5560-CA, F-250, F-350
C — 1C34-5560-DB, F-250, F-350
D — YC35-5560-EA, F-250, F-350
E — YC35-5560-FA, F-250, F-350
M — YC35-5A975-AA, F-450, F-550
N — YC35-5A975-BA, F-450, F-550

Most come with B code rears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Thanks KLhansen! With what I want to do with hauling wood and maybe a plow what do you suggest for a set up all the way around front and rear?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
X up front and B in the rear and you should be fine but if you want to go more heavy go witch C in the rear

Fond some rating:
Front
T = 4,400 pounds @ground
U = 4,800
V = 5,200
W = 5,600 (rare on a pickup)
X = 6,000 (only with snow-plow pkg on a pickup)

Rear spring codes:
A = F-250 & Excursion (6,084 pounds @ground)
B = F-350 SRW (6,830 pounds @ground)
C = F-350 DRW (8,250 pounds @ground)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
628 Posts
What are the D and E code? I'm planning to upgrade my fronts to x on my dually.i have a flatbed and tool boxes permanently and regularly pull trailers. Been wanting coil over shocks but can't seem to find them so have about resigned to adding a helper leaf and maybe airbags but the bags are expensive and get holes... (I'm in the brush a lot...)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so these codes are they for ford only or are they universal

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whatever you do don't drive it like that! The center bolt broke on my dually and the spring pack rattled apart. Mine came apart running down the highway at 70MPH. Any faster and I probably would have rolled it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ouch! Are you a hot shotter? Looks like my kind of rig! (Except you don't have a headache rack...)

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
OK so these codes are they for ford only or are they universal
Ford only. You could use the load capacity that to match up the load capacity that yan7gin posted to find them from other suppliers.

Whatever you do don't drive it like that! The center bolt broke on my dually and the spring pack rattled apart. Mine came apart running down the highway at 70MPH. Any faster and I probably would have rolled it.
They're totaling it? I'd buy it back and fix it. It doesn't look that bad.

I've had a spring leaf break in two and leave:)crazy:) the truck, but the u-bolts held everything together. Noticed it before things got loose and replaced both rear spring packs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ouch! Are you a hot shotter? Looks like my kind of rig! (Except you don't have a headache rack...)
I've hot shotted a little here and there, but I have a backhoe that I pull with it mostly. I never did get to finish building the flatbed, the wreck put a nasty twist in it and I didn't think it was worth putting any more money into.

They're totaling it? I'd buy it back and fix it. It doesn't look that bad.

I've had a spring leaf break in two and leave:)crazy:) the truck, but the u-bolts held everything together. Noticed it before things got loose and replaced both rear spring packs.
The Dana 80 is bent beyond repair, the frame is twisted in several spots, all 6 tires have flat spots, plus all the suspension in the rear, and lastly paint totaled up to something like 20k. State Farm said that since it had so many miles, their only available option was to total it. I did buy it back and so far have a new frame under it and a new rear end, but I still don't have the engine or trans back in it yet.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
The Dana 80 is bent beyond repair, the frame is twisted in several spots, all 6 tires have flat spots, plus all the suspension in the rear, and lastly paint totaled up to something like 20k. State Farm said that since it had so many miles, their only available option was to total it. I did buy it back and so far have a new frame under it and a new rear end, but I still don't have the engine or trans back in it yet.
I didn't see that much body damage in the pic of it on the rollback, but it does look like the axle and frame got seriously tweaked. Was that a spring leaf poking thru the side rail of the frame? Takes some serious force to do that. :surprise:

Anytime a shop has to pick up a paint gun, the $$ start racking up. I assume you found some good used chassis parts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I didn't see that much body damage in the pic of it on the rollback, but it does look like the axle and frame got seriously tweaked. Was that a spring leaf poking thru the side rail of the frame? Takes some serious force to do that. :surprise:

Anytime a shop has to pick up a paint gun, the $$ start racking up. I assume you found some good used chassis parts.
I was headed West on I90 and the truck spun so hard that it spun one whole turn then the front bumper slammed into the bank for the Eastbound lanes. The bumper brackets were the weakest link, folding down wrinkling the fender on the driver's side. Somehow a reflector pole scraped all the way down the metal on both doors. The truck kept spinning after the bumper hit and the passenger side duals slammed the bank bending the axle tube at the pumpkin and the spindle just inboard of the inner bearing. When the axle shifted, the front perch for the DS spring pushed the frame in two or three inches.

After this, I won't be using any used parts in the suspension. The new (to me) frame came with leaf springs, and I have it sitting on those at the moment, but it won't be running down the highway on them.

I think that spring leaf is jammed into the rear perch. I'm pretty sure that is what shredded the inside dual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts