The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post here but been using site for info for a long time. I have a 1995 7.3 powerstroke with 391,000 miles on it. I just noticed the other day coolant leaking out of under the passanger side frame. I could not figure out where the leak was coming from as it stopped once I started the truck up again. So today I noticed coolant leaking all over my control arms and I looked up and seen a tiny hose. You can only see it from under the truck.

On the passanger side firewall theres a black box that the ac goes in. Its wrapped in tin foil stuff. Just under that box is the hose that looks like it comes out of the lower fire wall. almost like it could be a heater core wheep hole too keep leaking coolant out of that black box? Any info is helpfull i need to fix it asap for work please anybody thank you.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What you're describing sounds like the water drain for the A/C. It would never have coolant in it. Are you sure it's coolant, not just water?

Do you smell coolant in the cab?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does not smell like coolant in the cab. but after driving ill look under and its green dripping around that one area. Last night I got a heater hose bypass fitting. I hope that at least stops it for now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hard to comment without pics or seeing it, but it sounds like you are right about it possibly being the heater core/hose assembly that's leaking. If you loosen your coolant reservoir bottle cap and not allow the coolant to build pressure, it might slow down the rate of dripping and it might buy you some time.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Replaced my F350's heater core recently; it was only $25 out the door at NAPA, so I didn't even hesitate. Now, removing the old one and installing the new one is a PIA if one is 55 and neither as flexible nor as able to see up close as he once was. That said, you just pull the glovebox, loosen the PCM box and move it aside, drain a bit of the cooling system, remove the hoses and cut away the sealant putty where the two tubes go thru the firewall, give the old tubes a shove with a broomstick, remove the old core, then reverse the above and you're back in business. I did it in under two hours in 20*F temps, and given the bulky clothes and the above-mentioned physical handicaps, it wasn't too bad. Works a helluva lot better, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
That's the ABS box. PCM is behind the parking brake handle assembly.

Reading glasses are worth their weight in gold for such apps. Before I got the progressive bifocals, I kept a pair of reading glasses in just about every desk drawer, every glove box, every backpack, every laptop bag, every bike pannier, every pick-up tool bag, every jacket, etc. I owned.

Recommend pulling the old heater core and taking it to the store for the replacement, if possible. Two stores I went to (I forget which) had the wrong listing, and I had to have them match it up by the size/shape. Maybe the databases have been fixed by now; that was aprx. 2010.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
By God, you're right about the PCM. I didn't know I even HAD anti-lock brakes, given the lack of sensors or wires to the rear brakes. I do, however, have the ABS idiot light (guess who's the idiot) light up from time to time - I guess I oughta have the dealer replace that sensor on the master cylinder under recall after all.

Had LASIK done ten years ago and immediately needed reading glasses (never did beforehand). They are a PIA, esp when I'm in and out of the truck - I find them dizzying if I forget to remove them immediately - but yes, I did wear them doing the heater, and yes, I have them everywhere. I'm told they're a sign of being a grown-up. Yippee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts