The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, having problems with my truck. (sig. truck) I replaced the injectors and one of the return caps will not stop leaking. I had reused the old caps and orings ..I know,bad idea, then I replaced the caps and orings with new ones but one cap still leaks. It drips fuel when running and makes the truck hard to start cold.The sealing surfaces on the injector are in good shape. Is there something I could use to seal the cap and injector?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Sorry to say, you probably need to replace the O rings or cap again. Lots of us use fuel or petroleum jelly on the O rings to help prevent rolling or nicking.

I bought a bag of Viton rings from McMaster Carr a few years ago, size 111 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks Chuckster, I just dropped one of the ones I was just replacing (working over gravel). I was wondering how I was going to come up with one and not buy another return line kit. Of course the used one I put in leaks.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If the return line hose is too long between injectors the cap will leak, the cap cannot be pushed with the hose, the oring seal is only 4-6 thousands. The hoses have to be straight and about 1/8" from the cap body on each end. The caps sometimes have a parting line internal, that will cut an oring, has to be sanded or scraped off. Hope you used Viton orings, they won't cut as easily as Buna does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the cap and found a small ridge of plastic around the inside of the cap. A few minutes with sandpaper and the cap is not leaking any more. :) :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I pulled the cap and found a small ridge of plastic around the inside of the cap. A few minutes with sandpaper and the cap is not leaking any more. :) :)
The caps sometimes have a parting line internal, that will cut an oring, has to be sanded or scraped off. Hope you used Viton orings, they won't cut as easily as Buna does.
Yep, it happens quite often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the return line hose is too long between injectors the cap will leak, the cap cannot be pushed with the hose, the oring seal is only 4-6 thousands. The hoses have to be straight and about 1/8" from the cap body on each end. The caps sometimes have a parting line internal, that will cut an oring, has to be sanded or scraped off. Hope you used Viton orings, they won't cut as easily as Buna does.
Is it true u have to change injector lines in sequence if so could u tell me y thanks

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
Is it true u have to change injector lines in sequence if so could u tell me y thanks
I assume you mean the drainback lines, and no you don't have to change them in any sequence. To make it easy, after I take an old line off I use the old one to cut the new one to it's exact length. And you'd be wise to ignore the "advice" to sand the internal small ridge off inside the cap. It's there to retain the cap over the O rings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts