The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 IDI Turbo. Just replaced the injector pump. Now 3 of 8 injector lines leak at the injector. I want to replace all the steel lines. Anybody know where to buy new lines?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Did you install new o-rings, caps and return lines when you did the pump? It is very uncommon that the actual injector (metal) lines would be leaking. It is most likely the return line o-rings which will ooze fuel out the top of the plastic cap and make it look like the injector line is leaking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 93 IDI Turbo. Just replaced the injector pump. Now 3 of 8 injector lines leak at the injector. I want to replace all the steel lines. Anybody know where to buy new lines?
I bought a complete set of injector lines from Midwest Fuel Injection. It was a good investment as it sealed up all of my leaks. It seems you can only remove & reinstall the injector lines just so much before they won't seal up anymore.

Diesel performance parts and accessories. Diesel injectors, pumps, filters, kits, additive, gauges and apparel.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Bet you didn't know how expensive those steel lines are ! I've had mine off 7 times now and no problem leaking, 300K miles and still original lines . Do the caps - O'rings and hose 1st. Make sure you replaced the clamps on the lines like they were, vibration causes leaks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bet you didn't know how expensive those steel lines are ! I've had mine off 7 times now and no problem leaking, 300K miles and still original lines . Do the caps - O'rings and hose 1st. Make sure you replaced the clamps on the lines like they were, vibration causes leaks.

Couldn't tell you how many times mine were off but at least 7 times while under my ownership. The cost wasn't too bad. About $35 to $40 each.

If they'd been more expensive it still would have been worth it to get rid of the leaking injector lines.

I second the motion on the line clamps. An unclamped line will lead to leaks.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
CCwalker........ ensure you get the TURBO injector install/fuel return line kit.

One point to remember steel lines must be correctly aligned in the injector before screwing down the line capnut..... by hand first...... then torque to 22ftlbs.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Couldn't tell you how many times mine were off but at least 7 times while under my ownership. The cost wasn't too bad. About $35 to $40 each.

Man you must be flush with the bucs. $320 is a lot for me. Installed correctly they prolly could be a 100 times off and on. Leave each line loose at the IP until hand screwed down at the injector, then tighten each end, 22FT lbs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Man you must be flush with the bucs. $320 is a lot for me. Installed correctly they prolly could be a 100 times off and on. Leave each line loose at the IP until hand screwed down at the injector, then tighten each end, 22FT lbs.
It's all relative. This truck is my primary work vehicle so fixing it when it breaks is necessary (and tax deductible). Compared to the newer powerstrokes the parts for this truck are cheap and I don't even want to think about vehicle replacement cost.

What precipated the need to replace my lines was that the threads would bottom out before any kind of seal was achieved. I tried everything to seal it up but I'd get one leak cured and another would start. After several months of this aggravation $320 was cheap compared the the time I was spending with a wrench under the hood.

That was 100,000 miles ago and not one leak since.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Make sure you replaced the clamps on the lines like they were, vibration causes leaks.
:yesnod: Indeed.

Without them in place, the lines shake, fatigue, and crack. I keep telling buddy to put his back on... 2 broken lines later.... he's still not learning. :sick:

·
Registered
1 Posts
7.3 IDI Fuel Leaks/Oil Leaks

CCwalker........ ensure you get the TURBO injector install/fuel return line kit.

One point to remember steel lines must be correctly aligned in the injector before screwing down the line capnut..... by hand first...... then torque to 22ftlbs.
Hey All, Nice Board!

Anyway... I have just joined the ranks of an IDI owner and as most would go, I have 3 leaky injectors.
I've got a 92 7.3 IDI with an ATS Turbo on it.
I can't get a reponse from ATS, Would any of you know which injector oring/fuel return line kit I should order as in the non-turbo or turbo version?

And as far as torquing the fuel lines, I assume you use a crows foot on the torque wrench?

I also have a heavy oil leak at the rear of the intake under the ATS, Underneath the truck it looks like a heavy rear main. I have read on this site about a high pressure oil discharge oring, but can't seem to find it. Any Clues, or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
my injection pump is leaking diesel where the injector lines screw in to it. every time its running and it sends diesel down that line it squirts a little bit out every time the piston goes to fire. this causes the valley in the block to fill up with diesel and leak down the engine onto the bell housing then leak on the ground creating a big diesel leak wherever i stop. is it the injector line or is there a seal under the part that screws onto the IP. im stumped, another theory i had is that the steel line is cracked? not sure any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
There isn't any seal on the steel lines. A seal is maintained by a flare in one part and an inverted flare on the other part. When you tighten the nut it should press the two surfaces together. If the nuts are tight, then you may have a nick or other defect on one of the sealing surfaces.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my injection pump is leaking diesel where the injector lines screw in to it. every time its running and it sends diesel down that line it squirts a little bit out every time the piston goes to fire. this causes the valley in the block to fill up with diesel and leak down the engine onto the bell housing then leak on the ground creating a big diesel leak wherever i stop. is it the injector line or is there a seal under the part that screws onto the IP. im stumped, another theory i had is that the steel line is cracked? not sure any help would be much appreciated

I have this same issue on my 92 f350 7.3 idi... I am barreling through fuel

Do I replace the lines?
Are there o rings or seals? I know they're flared
Is the line under pressure?
Is this a precursor to another issue I should address?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If you're changing the lines without pulling the pump, you won't get a wrench on them unless you do it right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts