The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the oil and filter in my E4OD transmission if I can find a way to make it leakproof. I have never been successful at this. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What do you mean "make it leakproof"? Anything can leak. Are you talking about the process of changing the fluid? Or the pan gasket? Or the transmission?

The least-messy way to change the ATF is via the cooler lines using the special machine built for the job. Call some local shops to find which have the BG Products machine. While that's happening, add an external filter as Ford recommends in the TSB in this caption:

(phone app link)

The least-messy way to DIY is to add a pan drain this time so it's clean from now on. Read this caption:

(phone app link)

The most leak-resistant pan gasket is the reusable one, but it only works with the pan built for it, and your trans might have the older pan. I think it works with most of the aftermarket cast pans, like this one:

(phone app link)

But adding a drain to a cast pan would be slightly different than to an original stamped steel pan. I'd drill & tap it to use a Fumoto oil drain valve the same size that fits the engine pan.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
It's not that difficult. Contrary to "expert" forum advice, don't use any silicone sealer on either side of the gasket, especially if it's cork. As an RTV sealer rep said, RTV sealer is a gasket replacer, not something you slobber all over gaskets. Otherwise when you tighten the pan bolts the surfaces are so slick the compression either causes the gasket to tear at a bolt hole or squish out in spots. Get both surfaces totally oil free, maybe use a little 3M weatherstrip cement to hold the gasket in place on one side, tighten the bolts using common sense and you shouldn't have a leak. And the post above this one is pretty much worthless since like any older Ford auto trans, a major amount of oil is in the torque converter, you have to pull the 1/8 or 1/4" pipe plug and drain the converter separately.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
Step 2B is optional. You don't need to remove the pan, but some people like to change the filter. I think it's not needed, but I added that to make people happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts