The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I rebuilt my fuel filter housing on my 02 f250 and when doing so it looks like on of my fuel fittings did not seal correctly. I used thread sealant and did let it cure but upon startup I noticed a substantial leak. Am I SOL or is there a epoxy, thread lock, etc I can use on the fitting? Any recommendations so that I don't have to buy a new housing?

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Which fittings? The ones that use the Parker seal? The plugs? Makes a difference where the leak is.

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Are you sure the leak is between the bowl and the fitting and not between the fitting and the fuel line? Did you install the fittings with the bowl off the truck? Did you ever get the feeling it was stripping when you were tightening it?

I would pull the fitting and inspect it thoroughly. Especially the aluminum side - look for any cracks in the housing. If everything looks ok, I'd try again using gasoila thread sealant and torqueing the fitting to 65 inch pounds. You might run a 1/8 NPT tap into the housing by hand just to clean out the old thread sealant and make sure the threads are not damaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm about 90% sure the leak is coming from the fitting and bowl,. I did install the fittings off the truck but I did notice when torqueing them down the did bottom out. One of the fittings I stopped tightening because I'm not sure how good my torque wrench is and was concerned that the fitting was all the way seated on the bowl as opposed to when I removed them they were on seated halfway or so from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
If you've cranked the fittings all the way down till they bottomed, you may have just stretched out the tapered threads, or more likely, cracked the bowl. You need to remove it again and check closely around the port. If it's not cracked, you might be able to reseal it with multiple wraps of teflon tape, taking extreme care not to get any tape over the end of the threads. Bits of teflon tape in the fuel system can screw up injectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, Anyone know if the Gasoila DEF thread sealant is a hard setting sealant? I'm pretty sure the Loctite thread sealant I used is soft setting and because of the stretched out threads it just washed it out.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't know about how hard or fast it sets but I believe it is more of a pipe dope type sealer rather than a liquid like locktite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because of how fun this thing is to remove and install on my truck I'm tempted to use rectorseal ep200 epoxy putty or something similar.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I wouldn't use epoxy. The moment you do you are guaranteeing that you will have to replace parts! You will not be able to disassemble without breaking one side or both!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't use epoxy. The moment you do you are guaranteeing that you will have to replace parts! You will not be able to disassemble without breaking one side or both!

You're right, I'm going to pull the housing today inspect it for cracks and if it passes I'm going to run a tap through the housing and replace the fittings. I'm assuming these are common fittings that I should be able to get from Home Depot, Ace, Napa?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts