The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LED light bar that when the engine is running and light is on the engine drops idol and sometimes will even die. Checking the alternator via the battery shows around 14.3V. whether the light is on or off. Any ideas what the issue could be? The LED light bar is wired to the battery via a harness with a inline fuse and relay.

Truck: 2000 F250 7.3

·
Premium Member
14,679 Posts
There is no way the current draw could be an issue. Even if your relay was shorted to ground, two batteries would have enough amperage to smoke the wiring before the engine would shut down. It almost has to be a frequency feedback issue. I know LED lights can put off some weird electromagnetic frequencies. All you have to do to realize that is put LED bulbs in your garage door opener and discover the remotes don't work anymore when the lights are on. I wonder if you have a light bar with a frequency that is feeding back on your PCM.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I’m really interested in hearing how this one plays out as.i recently bought upgraded- new oem fog lights with LED bulbs (not installed yet) and am planning a LED light bar as well.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I had issue with the light bar and my hydra chip

The cheap light bars cause frequency issues with aftermarket chips, icp’s and other sensors.

You need a ferrite choke on the chip wire if you have it or the pcm ground begins the brake fluid reservoir on the firewalls it’s the pink wire with black trace or black with pink trace?

Reactions: rv6a

·
Registered
223 Posts
Blue, it is interesting you mentioned the Hydra Chip wire. I am on the fence on getting the Hydra or the DP tuner F6. The Hydra seems to be the best bang for your buck but the one thing I have noticed is the DP F6 uses a chip wire with two ferrite chokes installed. Makes you wonder if that chip wire doesn't act like some sort of antenna?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The f6 and hydra use a similar cable. The F6 and F5 had the same issue. It looks lie DP includes the two ferrite chokes. If you pay 6-700 for the same product as the hydra 300$

·
Premium Member
14,679 Posts
The F5 doesn't have a cable and I've never heard of either having a problem with LED lights. My F6 doesn't have ferrite chokes on the cable and my LED light bar doesn't bother it one bit. Maybe it's just a Hydra thing.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,679 Posts
All those threads are about HID lights and a 3 month period after the F5 was introduced when they were using an unshielded cable to the switcher. They swapped to a shielded switcher cable and problem was solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts