The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both the wife and I love this truck (See avatar). There comes a point in life where knees and hips start to wear out and it becomes harder to mountain climb into the truck. I'm looking at new knees in the next year, and I'm wondering, before I have to get them, are there shorter lift blocks out there (the Rear blocks currently on it are factory and 4" high (eyeballing it) while the front doesn't have any ) that I could install to lower the truck to a height that would facilitate entry and exit without a parachute or at the very least a step ladder? Are there any suspension part clearances that would be adversely affected by lowering the back of the truck with 1" blocks or even doing away with them all together? I'm thinking a 1" lift or even no block would be fine for ride level, (currently Road to Top of Wheel Arch is 38-1/4 FWD, and 43-1/12" aft) and for part clearance (just from looking around underneath), this is with 275/65-r-18 LT tires.. This truck never see's off road, and is used for hauling a 25' bumper tow travel trailer 90% of the time. Also lowering the truck would allow for less torsion on the drop hitch (set it higher on the drop) and allow me to level it out better,(it's not bad now, but I'd like to see less nose high on the trailer (about 2" difference front to back). I DO like the "GOD VIEW" going down the road but getting in and out of the truck is getting to be painful anymore. And a new comparable King Ranch Crew cab is prohibitably expensive.

The trailer sits approx 2" nose high. This is the closest I can get it to level. The truck squats about 1" in the back and 1/2" in front with the trailer hooked up dry.

Thanks for any insight to this question.
Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a 1" lift on Amazon, and installed it. Brought the rear down to 39.5" at the top of the wheel well (tape vertically going thru center of wheel and height is at the lip of the well.) Front is still 38.5". Redid the hitch height, and with the EQ bar set for 5 links (real tight) ride height is 38.0" fwd and 38.5" aft. Trailer rides at 17" fwd and 16.5 aft with 30 gal of water in fresh tank (over the wheels). Ride quality improved slightly, and it's easier for the wife to get in and out. She's 5'4" and needs the help (step stool not withstanding).

It looks from this shot as if the truck is slightly nose high, but the measurements at wheel wells are correct. I took it to a flat parking lot (Walmart) and got the same measurements. Side steps are 13.5 fwd and 13-5/8 aft, down 1/2" unloaded.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I have changed the blocks on the 3 F350 truck I have owned. The first two a 1999 and 2000 SRW F350 4X4 I replaced the F350 with F250 blocks and sway bar ends. The last one (my current truck) is a 99 F350 DRW 4x4 I removed the blocks completely and used F250 sway bar ends. It made the truck sit level when empty and a lot easier to get into. The tailgate hight when open is 5 inches lower with not axle block. This was a TSB from Ford to do this back in 99 I believe. They had some issues with drive shaft angles so changed it to the two inch block. The trick is to add airbags so you can adjust for the load. This will avoid any drive shaft issues. I tow a 12,000 lb 5th wheel with no problems
DENNY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts