The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen a lot about the 7.3 and jake brakes not being offered and also saw that they have hydraulic lifters. We just bought a double naught (y2k) F550 with the 7.3 and I was wondering if changing the engine to mechanical lifters is possible and if it would have an adverse effect on the engine/truck

·
Super Moderator
25,643 Posts
Welcome to TheDieselStop. :)

I'm not sure if your F550 has an exhaust backpressure valve. If so, that's an easy way to get some engine braking, and much cheaper than digging into the engine. I believe that there are add-on exhaust brakes available if you don't have an EBPV, which will give you some additional braking ability for hill descent. The F550 has BIG brakes, so wondering what you're going to be doing with it that you're worried about brake capability.

As far as changing lifters, I believe the heads have to come off to get the lifters out, which makes it a major operation. That assumes mechanical lifters are even available for the 7.3L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt have an exhaust brake, and its more of preserving brakes because theres no way those pads are cheap. As for an exhaust brake ive heard they dont work that good (compared to a jake brake) and a smaller thing for me is the sound. Jakes are just louder. Ive seen people put them on 7.3 IDIs so the idea that it could be converted crossed my mind. As a winter project, a time we arent using the truck much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts