The Diesel Stop banner

Light goosenecks?

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  dt466man22 
#1 ·
Any idea who makes the lightest goosenecks? I'm looking for about a 10K gross trailer that weighs in around 3K or less. I haven't decided on fendered vs. flatbed. It will be used to haul a low clearance 3500 lb race car and a 4x4 separately.

Any recommendations on moderate or higher end matching hitches for a 72 F250?

Thanks

Chris

#4 ·
as far as i'm concerned don't buy a low deck with fenders if you wanna haul a truck on it...... I can barely fit a truck on a car trailer for width, i'd get a mid deck, and get somthing minimum of 18 foot and then a 4 or 5 ft dove tail on it for loading purposes

#6 ·
I've never seen one, but I would love to get my hands on an aluminum framed gooseneck with wood deck, or an all aluminum gooseneck (aluminum deck as well.

#8 ·
I've heard nothing but positive about PJ, and mixed about Big Tex. PJ's site doesn't offer much detail including things like empty weight and other pertinent stuff.

I'm leaning towards a gooseneck with fenders that are strong enough to run over with a 5-6K lb. 4wd. I guess diamond plate fenders are up to this? Not sure. I think the true flatbeds with the wheels underneath the platform are heavier and may cause issues with a low cearance vehicle with a 105" wheelbase.

Anyone know if PJ has dealers outside of TX? They list two sites, but their email doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the replys

Chris

#9 ·
Yeah, they don't seem to answer their emails, and I can't ever get through on the phone either. Same with Load-Trail. I'm sort-of looking at a Branson right now, they sound like roughly the same quality. I priced out an 18+4' gooseneck tilt with twin 6K axles, and it was $3800 sitting in Springfield MO. I'd sure like to look at one before I order it, though.

#10 ·
Chris I have a tripple axle w/drive over fenders I like the highth of the trailer, makes loading minimal clearance vehicles easy. May trailers out of Ada OK. built it for me but it is not light, 5500lbs but from experience a light trailer does not hold up to abuse very well. pm me if you want a ph# CJ

#13 ·
I did some asking, and yes, Featherlite does make an all aluminum GN flatbed trailer, but they cost an arm and a leg for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

#14 ·
That was quite nice if you to do that for me. I will be getting started on this in earnest shortly. I am driving from LA to Denver area by around 7-4 to pick up the 4wd. Given the short time I've allowed myself, I'd probably get the trailer nearby and tow it empty to Denver as opposed to picking it up on the way or somewhere within a few hundred miles of Denver. I'll call the Redlands location which is about 40 miles away and see what they've got.

I was near Ada staying at Lake Texoma for a week in May. Stayed at the Army Corp of Engineers RV park and it was great. I'll be pulling with a 72 F250 with an Isuzu 5.8 inline six turbo diesel (6BD1T), matching manual tranny + Eaton OD and a Dana 60 rear with 3.54s, and drums all around. If my trailer weighs 5K+ I think I'm pushing my luck(rather than pulling my luck), though I agree I don't want a flimsy trailer and this is exactly why I'm looking above the standard 2K lb. bumper pull with a 7K gross. I do appreciate the offer and wouldn't mind coming back to OK.

I saw some aluminum trailers and did notice some big prices, Probably not my bag for now.

#15 ·
What's the power rating of the Isuzu Diesel?

If it's 160+ You shouldn't have a problem up to probally 10-12K total It won't be fast but it will get the job done.

DT

#17 ·
From what I can tell from reading and just what it feels like, I think it's about 165 @2400 and 375 @1600. It has been very efficient so far. I am mainly concerned about the weight of the truck (low) and the brakes. I have some Longacre scales but haven't put the truck on it. The motor is over 1k lbs. I think the truck is probably between 5000-5500 lbs. very front biased. I have a similar truck with a Cadillac 500 that weighs about 4700 based on trip to the dump and the scales they have.

#18 ·
You have more torque than the 6.9's and some of the 7.3 IDI's so i wouldn't worry about running out of power.

Aslong as the Trailer has good brakes you should be fine up to the trailer GVW aslong as you have a Brake controller.

I think you will be alright even with a standard Goosneck.

DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.