The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 97 e series 7.3 207 mileage when driving it its like some ones turning key off for 2 seconds then rite side of dash service engine soon lights up then vehicles fine again service engine soon light goes off runs fine for a few days then repeats .

·
Registered
646 Posts
sounds like a short to me. or a loose connection battery. i would ck all ignition wires and grounds. go thru and clean all your wire conn and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sounds like a classic symptom of a bad CPS to me. You could have the codes read by someone who can read Ford diesel codes, but the shuts down for a second or 2 and starts running again thing is a sure symptom of a bad CPS.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
yep, very common cps symptom, (camshaft position sensor), its located at the front of the timing gear cover at the 10 o'clock posistion of the crankshaft pulley. A 10mm socket is needed to undo it. Most people carry a spare in this case, time to swap it out is less then 15 mins. NAPA part number is CSS-512, Advance auto parts p/n is CSS-626

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks actually have a recall on that (cps) and (speed control sensor) i put to the side cause it was running great but now im setting a apointment with ford they can get there hands greasy plus its free just have to hope i can drive it there with out it totaly takin a dump on the way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Similar Problem

I'm having a similar problem, thought it was the CPS. I changed to the international CPS but still have the problem. When mine shuts off it is after hitting rumble strips or a bump, only the engine shuts down, the radio does not go out and the engine will restart its self unless I'm going too slow. The tach goes to zero but the speedo countinues fine, when the engine refires the tach will go back up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally found the problem, someone suggested I check my chip. It didn't seem loose but I cleaned it and taped it back in. I took it for a 75 mile ride hitting every rumble strip I could find and it did not shut down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just had the same problem as clamper. Mine was shutting down like I turned it off. Sometimes would catch and stay running. It was the chip I had on the computer. It shows the same symptoms as a bad cps, actually stored a code for a bad cps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine would shut off at 75mph in the go lane on the PA. Turnpike it would happen only on my way home from work, Never in the morning, It took a while to find the short but it was in the wiring for the Speed Sensor where it meets the frame rail.
Hope this helps,
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts