The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2200 miles on new 2017 F350 Lariat CC. Was towing ~10k lb camper 200 miles to home after a weekend camping and a thud/jerk happened then received "Service Advancetrac" " Hill Start Assist Unavailable" "Hill Descent Control Fault" and "Reduced Engine Power" warning alarms on screen. All yellow in color, nothing red. I was able to get the truck up to 65 mph and barely maintain it but made it home safely. No harnesses seem to be torn on the frame, this is purely a tow vehicle so no off road use at all. No mods, have only changed the oil to full synthetic so far. The truck is running poorly but still runs, takes longer to turnover than normal when starting. Taking it in tomorrow to be serviced at dealership. I wanted to start a thread so it could help someone in the future. I pulled the codes on the OBDII and they say fuel rail A high pressure, crankshaft pressure, manufacturer defect, etc. Other than that it seems to idle just fine, but the DEF solenoid seems to be clicking continuously and when slowing to a stop the engine shutters. After a life with Ford trucks so far, this is my first real issue.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I had a Scantool ODB2 bluetooth monitor plugged into the truck for a few days about six week into the new truck. Driving in the city unloaded one day I got these symptoms that you report:
received "Service Advancetrac"
"Hill Descent Control Fault"
takes longer to turnover than normal when starting.
when slowing to a stop the engine shutters.
I was kind of quietly freaking out, wondering if I'd get home, or should drive straight to dealer. Racking my brain about, "what changed?". At one intersection I pulled the ScanTool module out and the truck immediatly corrected itself, the service engine light went back off. Have used the ScanTool a few times since then and have not seen this repeat.

Probably not related, but wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update from dealership, they are going to replace the PCM. Said the PCM isnt seeing RPMs from the engine and also not sending out voltage to a couple of sensors. Hopefully this will be the fix for the issue.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Update from dealership, they are going to replace the PCM. Said the PCM isnt seeing RPMs from the engine and also not sending out voltage to a couple of sensors. Hopefully this will be the fix for the issue.
Sure sounds like that would do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exact same issue happened to me today in my 2017 F250 Lariat CC 6.7, 2100 miles. I was towing a 30 ft 9000 lb travel trailer up Monarch pass in CO. Had two consecutive thud/jerks happen then received "Service Advancetrac" "Hill Start Assist Unavailable" "Hill Descent Control Fault" "Collision Warning System Disabled" and "Reduced Engine Power" warning alarms on screen. The dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Immediately lost almost all throttle response. Luckily, I was able to limp it up the hill in 1st gear a few hundred yards to a area to pull off. Nothing like being forced off a two lane road with no shoulder, no cell service, no engine power, 3 kids, two dogs on a 7% grade with 9000 lbs hitched... Stressful to say the least but could of been a lot worse...

I shut the rig down for a bit but immediately noticed the hard turnover that you mentioned when trying to restart. It idled fine once started but still got the same hard starts and error messages after a couple of attempts with very little throttle response. I had first thought it was the quality of the diesel I had just topped off about 40 miles back but after looking at the errors it was pretty obvious that is was Control Module related so I decided to just disconnect the batteries for about 10 min to see if I could get any type of reset/clear on the module. That did the trick, truck fired right up (although the service engine light stayed on) but ran fine. Babied it up and over the pass while praying :)

We did make it to Gunnison with no major issues, but we decided to stop for a bit to look for a possible ford dealer and eat lunch. That was a mistake... when going to restart the engine, all hell broke loose again. All the same errors messages, hard starting and lack of power (even noticed that the boost gauge barely moves, even on WOT). We found a local RV park and disconnected our trailer and I took the truck out again. Does a bit better without the load but still limps along and also has a loud, almost a fan type whine sound. Tried the disconnect on the batteries again with no luck. Now trying to find a dealer to look at it, closest one is 65 miles away... So, I guess we will see what happens on Monday. Thanks for the post f350Deez. It might give the service guys a starting point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man reading your story gave me flashbacks...what is up with these things failing right around 2000 miles? There was some people in other forums with a similar issue at this same mileage. There is really no update on mine quite yet. The program that is needed to install the new PCM programming has not been released by Ford (go figure) and my truck has been sitting at the dealership for a week now just waiting on this software issue. I have spoken to Ford customer service regional manager and they havent provided much in the way of help. The good news right now is that it seems that the RPMs and sensor voltage issues have been resolved by the PCM being swapped out. Hopefully the new software patch comes out soon and it is uploaded without any more delays. I will make sure to come back and update whenever the final fix happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Another update, the new PCM wont program correctly and they have found a short to ground in the engine wiring so they going to attempt to replace the engine wiring harness. If anyone is having this same problem, today they put the ol d PCM back in the truck since that does not seem to be the issue. After putting the old PCM back they jiggled the engine harness while the truck was running and it cleared all of the alarms. There must be something grounding out due to vibration or poor manufacturing. When the old harness is out I am going to try to identify what wire and where in the engine bay this happened and also post a picture for reference. Maybe this will alleviate some future headaches for people.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That would be greatly appreciated!! I hope you can track it down!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final update:

The wiring harness has been replaced and the truck is ready for pickup. It was not obvious where the issue was coming from but it was definitely a problem with the engine harness. Hopefully this thread helps anyone having the same issue.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I really hope this is your final update!

Are they giving you the old harness or are they looking into it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drove it home without any issues today which is a great feeling. I asked the tech and he said that he had to send the harness back into the warranty center and didnt have the time to cut into the harness to search for the issue. Kind of disaapointing not to be able to narrow it down but hopefully this issue is a small isolated manufacturing problem.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well the good news is you are back underway with a properly running truck!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
That harness will go back for engineering review. The rule is warranty parts go back unless it is a recall or some other well known issue where the defect is known and it wastes money to ship the item. Any part that is a rebuildable item is returned for its use as a rebuild core.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Scantool ODB2 bluetooth monitor plugged into the truck for a few days about six week into the new truck. Driving in the city unloaded one day I got these symptoms that you report:

I was kind of quietly freaking out, wondering if I'd get home, or should drive straight to dealer. Racking my brain about, "what changed?". At one intersection I pulled the ScanTool module out and the truck immediatly corrected itself, the service engine light went back off. Have used the ScanTool a few times since then and have not seen this repeat.

Probably not related, but wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this.
When I plugged in my VSS remote start module from the 2016 I got the same faults Advancedtrac, hill descent faults. They all went away after unplugging the VSS from the OBD port

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had this same issue twice on my 2017 F-350 dually I'm at 24,000 miles First time they just cleared the codes. This latest time they replaced the CCM. It better fix it.
This BS of running out of power while pulling a 40' trailer is all wrong.If it happens again I'll be looking for a new truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts